Is it stupid to go trekking in Nepal with a 40L sac?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 17 Feb 2013
Just interested in your point of view.
 Rock Badger 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: why not just take a bigger bag, if your worried about being stupid
 butteredfrog 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Not at all, how much do you need to carry?
OP Blizzard 17 Feb 2013
In reply to butteredfrog:

I will be gone for 7 weeks. Basically I am planning on carrying as little as possible. Clothes for cold weather, and alpine trousers, one T shirt. 3 pairs of trekking socks, one spare pair of underpants. Didnt want to take a sleeping bag, but may have to. Didnt want to take my MSR either, but wonder if I oughta. Whenever I have done expeditions before, I have taken quite a lot, was hoping to see if I could cope ultra light. Worried I might feel uncomfortable if I skimp too much. Its been a while since I did anything like this. (I'm an old git these days. lol)

However, I am thinking about doing island peak also, which means I will need a rope, axe and crampons. Dont want to carry all that crap with me. Travelling lite is liberating.
 Mr. Lee 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

You'd have to go hiking in your climbing boots to fit everything in a 40 litre bag. Why not just get a bigger bag that compresses down if there is empty space?
 Mountain Llama 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: are you going on your own or with others you can share gear? Are you camping? You could hire a porter for bits of it.
OP Blizzard 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I dont mind living in my hiking boots, I can think of far worse things to do. I guess I want to adopt an ultra lightweight approach, as I've done trips before with big heavy packs. The bigger the pack, the more I stuff in. As I will be at altitude I dont want to struggle with a big pack either. Thats my logic. I have a pod black ice. I think I'll be using that, totally stripped down ( hope its not to uncomfortable without the padding)

I am meeting a guy out there, I'm sure there will be others on route with massive packs, struggling with them. Who knows who we will hook up with. I dont intend on being a struggler. I'm not as young as I used to be - another reason for going light, and that I am also planning on getting my fitness on route. So dont intend on carrying more than 12kg if I can help it.
 Alun 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
Several years ago my wife trekked the Annapurna circuit in a pair of trainers, one set of clothes, a hired down jacket, and very little else. Everything she had she carried in a tiny day sack (way smaller than 40L). She had a great time. All of the people she met at the start of the trek thought she was crazy for carrying so little, by the end they were all jealous seeing her skipping off in the mornings while they lugged their heavy sacks and boots.

But of course it depends entirely on what your goals are. If you're just trekking in between huts on busy paths, you don't need even 40L. If you're doing something a bit more adventurous, you take more.

due 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

I did 2 weeks with a 45L pack, and that was with a fairly bulky synthetic bag and duvet jacket. In a way going for even longer makes it easier - it's inevitable you'll have to wash stuff, so there's less and less point trying to carry x days worth of clothing.
 Brass Nipples 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

If staying in tea houses, then that is more than adequate
 drunken monkey 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: Where are you going? If you are going to popular areas (Khumbu/Annapurna) you wont need to carry much as there is guesthouses/teahouses/shops along the route.
 blurty 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

you're missing the point, get a porter to carry it for you. and inject some cash into the local economy.

OP Blizzard 17 Feb 2013
In reply to drunken monkey:

Here is the initial route we are taking:
Lukla
Phakding
Thame
Marlung
Renjo Pass
Gokyo
Dragnag
Cho La
Dzhonglha
Lobuche
Kala Patthar
Gorak Shep
Everest BC
Kogma Lakes
Chhukung
Pokalde
Tengboche
 drunken monkey 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard: I've been to that area (Lukla-Island Peak-Lobuche East-Kala Patter etc) IMO if you plan to use the guesthouses/tea huts etc, a 40L sack will be more than enough.
In reply to Blizzard: I would definately take a sleeping bag, but I wouldn't worry about the stove - any building you see, almost anywhere, will be willing to sell you a brew
 radson 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

Im kind of the opposite, if I am climbing a mountain, I try and carry a heavy load on the way in to help with the training and get the legs used to a heavy workload.
 Camm 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
Not done Nepal but did a week climbing in alps, without huts, inc food, bivi, climbing gear etc in a 40L sack, wore big boots on plane and everything lol, only took one pair of trousers, 2 pairs of boxers, 2 pairs of socks, 2 base layers, bag was still about 28kg
OP Blizzard 19 Feb 2013
In reply to danrock101:

28 kg . F*ck that. I have decided I will take my pod black ice bag. Think it expands to 50 litres. In truth it weights to much already and I dont want to carry much. 4 weeks ahead of my trip I am kind of training now. I'm taking a box of Earl Grey tea bags. They are my definition of a much needed luxury out there.
ice.solo 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

take a change of clothes and boots you can get strap ons onto.
really, you could do it with 15L if you have a good wallet.

island peaks not too full on, you will be able to hire crampons and a single tool at a tea house. an adventure racing harness, 2 slings and a few krabs will stuff into a pocket.
even a pair of alloy crampons (good also for crossing passes) will take up no room.
 Skyhook 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

> Just interested in your point of view.

Learn to travel lighter. It's astonishing what you don't actually need.

Stuff is heavy and you have to look after it. You're supposed to be enjoying yourself.

A possible rule of thumb; leave one additional thing behind on each successive trip.
OP Blizzard 20 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
you could do it with 15L if you have a good wallet.

Please explain this comment.
>
a an adventure racing harness, 2 slings and a few krabs will stuff into a pocket.

Are you suggesting I take 2 slings and a few crabs and a harness? ( wasnt planning on packing any of these items)

ice.solo 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Blizzard:

A good wallet has lot of money in it.

Harness, slings, krabs will be useful for island peak but not easy to find out there.
OP Blizzard 20 Feb 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

So you are saying you could so it with a 15 litre pack?

How much is a lot of money? I am taking 1500USD and can access another £500-£800 GBP. That is a lot of money to me, but not in the grand scheme of things, but I have flights to Lukla. How much will a Kathmandu to Lukla cost?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...