CLimbing in Switzerland (Leysin)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
adbrad 30 Jan 2013
Hi, I am soon moving to Switzerland to a mountain village called Leysin. Would anyone be able to recommend any good climbing guides for the area?
 Jonay 30 Jan 2013
In reply to adbrad:

Not sure how much help I can be, but if you contact ISM (www.alpin-ism.com) and explain your details to Eira she might be able to get you in contact with one of their contracted guides called Steve, he lives in Austrailia over winter and lives/works in and out of Leysin.

He's lived there for a good few years and has climbed all over. He's orignally from the Dorset area.

Give him a shout and see if he can help you.
In reply to adbrad:
hi

I worked out there a few years ago, and have an old guide some where, drop me a email and i will try and dig it out and let you know?

Tour d'Ai and Tour de Mayen are the main big multi pitch in the area, so you could look up those online,

cheer Rob
In reply to adbrad:

'le calcaire en folie tome 1' by Michel Piola

thats the guide book i used out there, it was a many years ago?
 IPPurewater 31 Jan 2013
In reply to adbrad: There is some coverage of this area in the Schweiz Plaisir West and Schweiz Extrem guides published by Filidor. These are selected route guidebooks though.
adbrad 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ecrinscollective: Cheers Rob that would be great, what did you work out there as?
adbrad 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Jonay: Cheers Jonay, I will give that a try. He might be able to put me in touch with some of the local climbers
adbrad 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: great cheers
 alasdair19 31 Jan 2013
In reply to adbrad: my mate works in the american school and is allways looking for folk to get out with, it is pretty small and a lot of the keen climbers are guides. the skiing is fantastic.
adbrad 31 Jan 2013
In reply to alasdair19: Is it LAS, that is where I will be working! Start there in August. Will he still be working there then?
 danm 31 Jan 2013
In reply to adbrad: Probably if it's who I think alasdair19 is talking about. Lots of good sport and alpine stuff in the area, plus of course the skiing and touring.
 Sl@te Head 01 Feb 2013
In reply to adbrad:
Really good (newish) via ferrata not far from the American School, also potential for new routes in that area...
 RichardP 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Jonay:
> Not sure how much help I can be, but if you contact ISM (www.alpin-ism.com) and explain your details to Eira she might be able to get you in contact with one of their contracted guides called Steve, he lives in Austrailia over winter and lives/works in and out of Leysin.

I was going to suggest ISM, they were good enough for Clint Eastwood while making the film "The Eiger Sanction"

adbrad 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Sl@te Head: sweet, can't wait!
 climbersion 01 Feb 2013
In reply to adbrad:

Hey,
Good to hear that another Brit climber is coming to work in Leysin!

I'm good friends with the other two posters Danm and Alasdair19 and am the person they were talking about!!!

I work for LAS and have been living here for 3 1/2 years now.

I'd be happy to show you around the area, there is more climbing and skiing than anyone could possibly do in a lifetime
Feel free to contact me through the site and I''l see you in August.
adbrad 04 Feb 2013
In reply to climbersion: Awsome, me and my girlfriend will be joing the science department at LAS. I can't wait! Is there any climbing guide you could recommend so I can start checking out the routes? A
dam
 FrJ 06 Feb 2013
In reply to adbrad:
I think there are also some basic route descriptions and topos in the Alpine Club Guide for Bernese Oberland. Probably not enough to be worth buying one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...