Step away from the race entries...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 30 Jan 2013
So many races so little time!

I've just entered my eighth ultra this year. Not worried about fitting it all in but need to contain my enthusiasm a bit!

Anyone having this problem with all the great courses on offer nowadays?
 StefanB 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Yes, same here. It's very difficult to hold back. I raced 19 times last year and have just messed up a serious attempt at a fast 10k by running an ultra and a trail marathon during the four weeks prior.
 DancingOnRock 30 Jan 2013
In reply to Wonrek: Yes. Have just entered my first half of the year on 24th Feb. Also want to enter a half on 3rd March but need to do some long runs in prep for an ultra first weekend April.

Also like to enter my first fell race. Think I've seen Edale Skyline recommended as a first one? Not sure.
 Banned User 77 30 Jan 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Edale as first? depends on your running background.. its not overly technical, fairly much a trail race but a long run..
 DancingOnRock 30 Jan 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Just been off to google it. Didn't realise it was so soon. Think I'll leave it till next year and get some good training in. Looks like up Ringing Roger then up and round with not a great deal of ascent/descent. Probably why it's called the Skyline. Might just go up in September and run round the route.
 Banned User 77 31 Jan 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Its a lovely route.. yeah one quick climb.. then a the climb of lose hill.. the rest are short or gradual.
OP Wonrek 31 Jan 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Edale looks a great race, haven't done it myself, know others that have done and sounds amazing.

I'll be doing my first stage race that weekend, three marathons in three days. Hmmm looking forward to getting going again on day three :-S
 steveriley 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Wonrek:
Like an idiot I entered a 33m trail race on Tuesday. Quite like the look of the Clwydian marathon in March. Just the small matter of getting anywhere close to the distance in training.
 Denni 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

As a stay at home dad and my wife regularly busy putting people back together in Afghanistan I don't have a lot of time but I have managed to squeeze myself in for the nursery Fathers Day race in March. I just need to try and find time to train, don't want to let my daughter down.

OP Wonrek 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni: Never underestimate the importance of a nursery race. The competition is likely to be more fierce than the men's 100m final

Buggy running is the new walking too!
 Banned User 77 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Wonrek: Edale got me this morning.. only one so far this year..
OP Wonrek 01 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Only one race? Wow, you're hardcore! I spent last night debating which end of season Brecon race I should enter, the Likeys in November or the Might Contain Nuts in December.

Or both?!
 kevinknights 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek: The MCN one is a lot more interesting (and doesn't have 2 laps to do)
OP Wonrek 01 Feb 2013
In reply to kevinknights: Yes I did the MCN course last year, great course but very cold day! Moving it even further into Dec is increasing the weather risk I fear.

And the Likeys race has been likened to a who's who in ultra running (apparently)
 kevinknights 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek: I remember the cold well (although the marathon was enough for me) - I've done a lap the of the beacons ultra - its not particularily interesting - 5 miles + of canal and a lot of flat fire road through the forest each lap. I agree re the weather risk (one of the reason I didn't do the full thing in december)
In reply to Wonrek:

There's a discussion at the moment on the FRA forums about what to do with no-shows.

ALc
 john arran 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

I may have the opposite problem. Just entered one race this year but it's a bit aspirational as I'm only really an occasional and recreational runner. The Marathon de Montcalm http://www.pays-du-montcalm.com/fr/pages/detail/Les-parcours.40.html
Full marathon distance but with a heigh gain of over 2,500m. Gulp!

HELP!
 Run_Ross_Run 01 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

3 so far (hopefully)

Hoka Highland Fling 53 mile in April, Big Black Mountain Challenge 26 mile in May and the Clif 10 peaks 89km in Sept.

Starting to sh*t a bit now thinking about it.
 Banned User 77 01 Feb 2013
In reply to john arran: Awesome race.. did it last year.. its 2500m but almost all in one go so a majorly unique race.. especially those from UK fell running scene..

Wonrek.. I didn't know where I would be living, or travel, time off etc.. so keeping it open for now..
 john arran 01 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> its 2500m but almost all in one go

Yes, that's what's concerning me!
 Banned User 77 02 Feb 2013
In reply to john arran: Going up I felt surprisingly OK.. it was coming down.. I wore soloman speed cross.. which were great for the vaired nature of the course.. rock, trail, road.. but they were evr so slightly too small and my toes were touching the toe box.. fine for 99% of races but after 2000m of descent they were agony..

The funniest but was one guy come past me like a train descending.. I've never been overtaken by such a difference in speed.. I hit the road.. 10k to go and there he was just jogging almost on the spot.. thighs wasted.. I actually felt a tad sorry for the guy.. I'm not sure if he just totally misread the race.

Drink loads, take any salt on offer.. I may go back and do it.
 yorkshireman 02 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Paris Marathon in April as a cobweb-blowout - I'm just curious to see how quickly I can run a road marathon now after a few years on just trails.

Then I've got two ultras and to be honest that is about as ambitious as I can be - training for anything more than that and I'm wasted and it seriously eats into work and general life.

Mid-June - I haven't made my mind up between the following two - they're on the same day and I'm slap bang halfway between them. Will depend on how well I'm feelomg the training going really.

http://lesdrayesduvercors.com
or
http://trailderousset.wordpress.com/trail-du-lac-de-serre-poncon

Then I'm taking a rest and getting on the bike to do the Etape du Tour, and back in training to run the Ultra Trail du Vercors, which is 85km in the beginning of September. I've attempted this before but missed the last time check at 65km so its my main goal to complete it this year.
 DancingOnRock 02 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Wonrek) Edale got me this morning.. only one so far this year..

Full already! Next year it is then.

Any other suggestions? Was thinking I might try to enter the Snowdon Mountain Race at some point but need experience...
 Banned User 77 02 Feb 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Snowdon race is great, but a proper european style mountain race.. not fell race.. crowds, lots of runners, good track, no short cuts really..

Its actually perfect for a novice runner..

Skiddaw? Think its June..

I'd probably look at some of the lakeland trail races too. Bit pricier but get good reviews. Kinder Trog was a good race, 16 miles, not a huge amount of ascent, and marked or marshalled fairly well.. mainly a trail race.. There is some nav but normally people to point the way in the few places you need it..

In Wales, Moel Eilio is an ideal first race, grassy terrain, steep descents.. flagged in a few places, little route choice.
In reply to IainRUK: Cheers. I sat on top of Snowdon for 3-4 hours in blazing sun last year watching it. They vet the entrants who must have Cat A mountain/fell race experience.

Also thinking about Yorkshire 3 peaks race. Looks fun.

Planning to do the LDWA South Downs 'Marathon' and Rutland Water Marathon again this year. Possibly the Box Hill 'Munro' Half Marathon. Some great events about.

Entered another half yesterday.
 plyometrics 02 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Not much info released yet, but interesting ultra development....

www.facebook.com/lakelandtrails
 quirky 02 Feb 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Just entered the Yorkshire 3 peaks. Best step up the training!!
In reply to quirky: Just checked the entry requirements for that too. Might just have to pick a day and run it solo

Either that or knock an hour off my marathon time. Didn't realise there were cut-off times for checkpoints.
 quirky 02 Feb 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Yeah i have had to dig deep into my running history to try and get in. finbgers crossed i do....i think!! if not i too am just going to run it anyway..fancy a team effort??
 mattrm 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Heh. I'm planning two so far. The Might Contain Nuts 40 and the 10 Peaks Brecon 55. Currently wondering if I can do the Dyfi Enduro (60k mtb) which is the week before the MCN 40.
In reply to quirky: Certainly. I'm not fast though. My half time is around 1:50+ and my 'undulating' trail marathon around 4:30.
 Aly 02 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK: As a slight aside, and I thought you'd be a good person to ask given how serious you are, how many races a year/season do you think you can be properly competitive at and at what kind of distances?

I'm asking as I don't think I'd be able to enter 10 or 15 races over a year and really perform at all of them (I guess entering races can often be considered to be part of a training plan or just fun in itself but I'm sure you see what I mean). I had a dabble into triathlons last year, and decided to only enter 2 events (May and Oct) on the basis that I wanted to prepare properly for them and give myself a decent chance of winning them. Admittedly they were over very different distances which was why I needed the gap but I wonder how many races the top level fell-runners try to 'peak' for in a year (i.e. the races they really want to perform at).
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
cheers
OP Wonrek 03 Feb 2013
In reply to mattrm: I was listening to a podcast which was explaining about classifying your races as A, B or C in order of importance. So to have one or two A races a year and using the Bs and Cs to build up and as a training aid.

This works for me as frequently I'm struggling to get the really long training runs in for a number of reasons. If I enter an event then I know I'll get the miles done. I'm never likely to win anyway but I'm having great fun taking part and get more in if I view them as a part of my training.
 Liam M 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek: Last year I probably ran on average one race a week. With possibly about 2 or 3 exceptions I wasn't fully rested for them, but I find it much easier to motivate myself to work hard on a 'tempo' effort in a race environment than if I went out alone. Plus it was unusual for there to not be at least one similarly paced clubmate or friend, against who there could be some friendly competition.

Though as most races around here are entry on the day it's quite easy to make the decision at the last minute (I have no intention of racing beyond HM at the moment as I don't believe my short distance ability is currently good enough to mean I could do justice to training and racing longer events).
 Banned User 77 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Aly: Similar to liam.. I'm a lazy trainer..

So I race as training.. maybe 30-40 races a year, 2-3 races a month but more in the summer, however I probably target 4-6 races a year seriously.

As in specific training and taper.. I'll do short 5 mile road races the day after hard 20 mile runs, good tempo sessions. You have to keep your pride in check.

I think you can over-race.. i did one year, did almost 50 and found I was no longer willing to race hard so it ruined the point of doing races.

Re distance, 2 marathons a year, but it is very personal. I aim for spring/fall marathons then peak in in mountain running in the summer months..
 StefanB 03 Feb 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I like racing, but have calculated that last year I spent the equivalent of 4-5 pairs of good running shoes on race entries, that's not counting petrol to get there and accommodation if required.
Not sure if I will change anything, but it did come as a surprise
 DancingOnRock 03 Feb 2013
Last year I did 1 10k, 6 half marathons, a full marathon, an ultra and a 10mile.

I find I need nearly 2 weeks to recover from a half, although my PB last year was two weeks after a PB. I found 2 years ago I was seriously overtraining by running my Sunday runs at near half mara tempo.

One half every 5/6 weeks gives me time to recover, a 2/3 weeks hard training, and then a week to ease off.
 wbo 03 Feb 2013
In reply to Wonrek: A year planner is an absolute godsend for this sort of stuff it you want to be half serious. You put in all the races you might want to do, and then try to fill in the training. If you put in the training and it seems inadwquate, then you need to knock out the races or change it around

I personally like to race a lot , and then not at all. It's possible to treat short races as part of a training plan as sustained efforts, but once it gets over 5 miles that won't fly. If you push long races hard you'll be too tired to train hard the next week, and if you don't push it hard you need to question if it's really a good idea.

Fitting in the races to prep for a marathon is not easy
 Liam M 03 Feb 2013
In reply to wbo: I like consciously running progressively if I am doing longer non target stuff, so starting off about 20s/km slower than target pace and hitting target pace for the last half or so.

It's good psychologically to be finishing strong, you can still get a good session and I find can help refine pace judgement ( a problem a lot of clubmates have)
 steveriley 04 Feb 2013
Prioritising is a good thing. I only really rest up for a few events a year. You certainly can't taper for races if you're doing quite a few - you'd never get any training done. Stuff like Sunday cross country, I'll just turn up and run as well as I can, and just take it on the chin if 'slower' people beat me. On the plus side, it feels great when you do rest properly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...