Truth & reconciliation in cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 27 Jan 2013
I liked this wee blog/article. Thought some of the cycling fans here abouts might like to read it...

http://www.biscuittinmedia.com/uci-wada-truth-and-reconciliation-in-cycling...
 Chris the Tall 28 Jan 2013
In reply to JLS:
The UCI set up an independent commission to investigate doping, but then refused to work with it, denied it access and now wants to scrap it.

Now it's saying it will set up a T&R with WADA, in the knowledge that will take at least 6 months to begin.

I would suggest McQuaid is trying to spin things out until after he stands for re-election in September, but I think that gives him too much credit - I don't think he has any sort of plan at all.
 Chris the Tall 29 Jan 2013
In reply to JLS:
Looks like war has been declared between WADA and the UCI

http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/news/statement-from-wada-president-john-fahey-...

Background here

http://inrng.com/2013/01/uci-disbands-independent-commission/#more-12874

Looking forward to hearing what Tanni GT has to say about all this

Can the UCI's credibility sink any lower ?

Unfortunately the answer is probably yes
OP JLS 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Being Pat McQuaid just now can't be much fun. Imaging waking up every morning and having to face all this stuff...
fxceltic 30 Jan 2013
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Being Pat McQuaid just now can't be much fun. Imaging waking up every morning and having to face all this stuff...

its no more than he deserves.

In other news I see Fuentes has admitted "Treating" footballers, athletes, tennis players etc.

Proving that at least one of the reasons there seems to be more doping in cycling is because we do actually look for it, as opposed to most of the other major sports, many of whom arent even signed up to the WADA code.
KevinD 30 Jan 2013
In reply to fxceltic:

> its no more than he deserves.

yes. if he had just joined as a new hire a couple of weeks before it all kicked off i would feel sorry for him but not the case.

> In other news I see Fuentes has admitted "Treating" footballers, athletes, tennis players etc.

he has been admitting to that for a long time and even queried why the focus on cycling.

fxceltic 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>
> [...]
>
>
> he has been admitting to that for a long time and even queried why the focus on cycling.

yes, just quoting it for people who maybe werent aware. As a cyclist I get frustrated at work where I am viewed as some sort of mouthpiece to justify and/ or explain doping and cycling in general, by people who follow other sports who are oblivious that there may be an issue in their own chosen sports.
 Chris the Tall 30 Jan 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to fxceltic)
>

>
> he has been admitting to that for a long time and even queried why the focus on cycling.

But he is not going to name names, the spanish authorities aren't interested and WADA has been denied access to his client list.

I gather the only sports people being called as witness are cyclists who have already confessed - I wonder if Hamilton is going to blame him for mixing up his bags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...