Rab Scimitar or Mtn Equipment Orbital - Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nathan Adam 27 Jan 2013
Kinda stuck between which one to get, can get both for around the same price (£100ish). Anyone got any ideas of the fit on the Orbital compared to the Rab-(slim body, long sleeves) and how thick the material on the Scimitar is. Cheers !
 Cameron94 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: The scimitar isn't athletic in the body like the boreals pull over, it's quite relaxed/average if you ask me.
OP Nathan Adam 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Cheers man, suppose i'm quite lean in that respect. Although i'll have a harness to tie it in a bit most of the time.

Seriously though, has no one ever tried on an ME Orbital jacket who could give me a bit of feedback on the fit ?
Flat4matt 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93:

Well I tried the schmitar and it was like a base layer!!! Especially around the arms shoulders. I'm not the biggest guy but it put me off buying one. Got the vr guide indstead, ofcourse, completey different jackets (my circumcises changed!) But a large vr guide fits nice, where as a xl schmitar was way too tight!
Also have a vr tour lite but in an xl that fits well. Rabs wierd fit system???!!!!!!
 Kyle Warlow 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93:

I've got an Orbital. It's an athletic fit on the body and it's quite loose on the arms/ shoulders, with great freedom of movement. Its also quite short on the body with slightly longer arms (which I like), really breathable and a harness fits with it lovely. I love it.

K
In reply to K.W.: Cheers for that. How is it on the sizing ? I normally wear a medium but have tried on some softshells and think I might be better of going for a large. Any opinions ?
In reply to Flat4matt: Yeah, Rab has got a bit of a rep for that. I decided to just go with the Orbital, although I had to pay a bit extra when i finally found it in a size large. Looks like a really good bit of gear and if it lasts as long as my current Regatta softshell (4 years) then i'll be pleased !
 browndog33 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: I've got the schimitar and its a loose fit on me (and I'm a big lad!)the schimitar is very thin though with no lining. Funny how you mention the regatta as I'm a newly converted fan of theirs, I love their rosswell softshell (I've got three now!), also their geo pants are brill too BTW.
Mark.
 Kyle Warlow 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93:

I actually found the sizing quite big. Im normally a medium/large (more large lately!) and found the medium fitted with a little room to spare.
OP Nathan Adam 28 Jan 2013
In reply to K.W.: Thanks, I ordered it in the large to be on the safe side but if it doesn't fit then I'll send it back in exchange for the smaller size. Cheers again !
In reply to browndog33: Thanks for the info on the Scimitar.

I really like my Regatta gear, got a couple of micro fleeces and the softshell jacket but the jacket is starting to get way too small for me (or has been for the past year) so was time for an upgrade. Shall see how it goes. Cheers !
 browndog33 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: Ps I see you are from broadford, Skye-I'm camping there(on a campsite) for 10 days this coming april- any tips?
Mark.
 Cameron94 28 Jan 2013
In reply to browndog33: Come climbing with us, that's my tip!

In seriousness buy as much food as you can before you get here from say an asda or tesco as once you arrive your only option is the co-op. Bucket loads of midge repellent would be usefull!
 browndog33 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Thanks, I'm there on a 10 day geological field trip (I'm a mature part time student), I don't know if I'll have any free time during the ten days but I might stay a day or two longer to do 'stuff' (I don't climb anymore due to injury). I'm staying at a little campsite a couple of miles up the road from broadford (strollamus?). What the weather like in general in April? (I'm in a big family tent so am worried about high winds!)
Mark.
 browndog33 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Cameron94: will do with food- cheers. Are midges out in April?
M.
In reply to browndog33: Should just miss the big swarms, but that said we felt them in September pretty bad at times.

If you are staying on for a few days then either head up to Sligachan campsite or down the Glenbrittle. Loads to go at walking and easy scrambling wise !
 nickcj 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: I really like my ME orbital jacket. I'm 6'1 and 70kg and went for the medium. I could have gone for a small but the sleeves were a little short for reaching up.
 browndog33 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: Ok thanks. Yep a bit of scrambling sounds good!
Mark.
skarabrae 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Nath93: I have the rab scimitar, originally bought the medium, but arms were to tight to fit a fleece underneath, so swapped for a large, the arms are a but long, but ad you have Velcro fasteners at the cuffs this is no problem.
In reply to nickcj: You sound pretty much the same as me bar a inch of height difference, think i might call up and get them to change it to a medium. Cheers.
In reply to browndog33: Easy bimble would be NW Ridge of Bruach na Frithe from Sligachan or Sgurr Alasdair via the Stone Chute. Just be careful in April as chances are there will still be snow and ice kicking around higher up. I'd bring the relevant kit with you just in case (if you have it).
OP Nathan Adam 02 Feb 2013
In reply to Nath93: Got my Orbital in this morning, very pleased with it and glad i changed it to a medium. Cheers for the info folks !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...