CAF or CAS... which one to join

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 higher.alpine 26 Jan 2013
Was just wondering which one is more beneficial to join, the Swiss Alpine Club or the French Alpine Club?

Is there a big difference? They seem to cost about the same and offer similar insurance & hut discount rates. CAF is a little more hassle as they need a medical certificate.

Any useful information will be very much appreciated.
 EwanR 26 Jan 2013
In reply to higher.alpine: It really depends on why you want to join one of them.

The Swiss Alpine Club doesn't offer any form of insurance other than in certain specific circumstances. Youth members (under 20 I think) get REGA coverage but this is not what one would normally consider insurance. As you're in Genève your employer should give you accident insurance as required by Swiss law.

http://www.svv.ch/fr/publications/guide-de-l-assurance-accidents-obligatoir...

The French offer proper insurance for an additional fee.

Both club magazines are decent if that's in any way important. SAC have lots of courses that are cheaper as a member.

I'm a member of both as each has certain advantages for me.

Ewan
 Gawyllie 26 Jan 2013
In reply to higher.alpine: we joined the Austrian AC one year for the hut discounts

if thats your main motivation then it might be worth having a look at the price. not sure about insurance though
 Kimberley 26 Jan 2013
In reply to higher.alpine:

Depends why you may be considering joining.

I have always found the Austrian Alpine club offers the most relevant benefits for me, reduced overnights in huts and insurance, all for a very reasonable fee, £43.50 for 2013

www.aacuk.org.uk

The BMC offering of a reciprocal huts card at £40 plus your club/individual membership fee and no rescue insurance doesn't seem good value to me.
OP higher.alpine 27 Jan 2013
Thanks for the replies.

Was looking at joining mainly for European climb/ski/canyoning insurance & hut discounts.

The Austrian Alpine Club membership (£44) - the insurance covers rescue upto €25k, medical treatment €10k.

With CAF membership with personal insurance costs £74 but you get upto €30k rescue costs cover and €80k for medical expenses. You need to presenent a medical certificate which costs another €23 and some time.

I ended up going with The Austrian Alpine Club.
 alpinist63 27 Jan 2013
In reply to higher.alpine:
the austrian Alpine club OEAV also includes a very good worldwide insurance .
OP higher.alpine 27 Jan 2013
In reply to alpinist63:
Yes. From the T&Cs:
"Insurance Scope
Alpine Association Worldwide Service (AWS) provides insurance
cover for all Oesterreichischer Alpenverein (OeAV) members
who require rescue services as a result of accidents occurring
in the course of leisure activities. Costs for repatriation, transfer
and medical treatment are covered for accidents occurring in
the course of leisure activities or business as well as for illness.
AWS is valid worldwide, with the exceptions that the third-party
insurance and legal protection insurance are restricted to Europe."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...