Trail Marathon Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andypandyroo 24 Jan 2013
So I have decided to enter the Trail Marathon Wales in June.
The trails are in Coed-y-brenin forest.

I have done Langdale Marathon and Snowdonia Marathon a few times, so I can run hills quite well.

Anybody got any inside knowledge of how hard this will be? Route profile? Or general info on the types of trails in the forest at coed-y-brenin.

Starting my training today...eeek!
Any tips on running a marathon on a forest single track.

I have good trail shoes and planning on training in Delamere forest.

Cheers

JamButty 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo: I;d be interested in this thread from the half point of view - however it would be my first half - am I mad?

Ta
OP Andypandyroo 24 Jan 2013
In reply to JamButty:

Plenty of time to train for the Half
 Banned User 77 24 Jan 2013
In reply to JamButty: I don't think its the same route as last year, due to forestry work etc.. Last year the route profile/map didn't come out til late and I suspect the same this year.

It was won in 3:03 last year by Andy Davies who consistently runs around 2:25 for a marathon, so a good 40 minutes off the pace as an idea.

I had an entry last year but didn't run. All feedback was good, a mix of wide trails and forest trails, fairly fast running, lots of gradual climbs.
 Banned User 77 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo: Snowdonia isn't that slow as a marathon.. 10-15 minutes off pb for runners towards the front. So it will much a lot tougher than that, Snowdonia has lots of flat running miles in.
 steveriley 24 Jan 2013
Nothing specific for you, but you could do worse than hook up with these guys for some of your training in the forest: http://www.delamerespartans.org.uk Great bunch, Dave off here might pop up later.
Helsby RC have plenty of hill and trail runners too: http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/ who are also great
In reply to steveri:

Thanks for the suggestions - tempted with a running club!
In reply to IainRUK:

I was initially worried about the 4 hour cut off! Then I read at 20 miles...phew!

Thanks for the info
 steveriley 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo:
In that case I should go into full recruiting mode! If you fancy Helsby - Wed 6:30pm Sports Club, Monday Castle Park Frodsham. Loads on the blog. Just come and give it a go, no need to join till you like it. Loads of free races in the winter too.
altirando 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo: You might find it useful to get hold of a second hand copy of Challenging Walks, Sigma Press. Twenty long mountain walks/runs most in north wales and peaks, including a 35 mile Vale ~Royal Round circuit that includes Delamere Forest.
novik 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo: Its a good event, well organized and supported on the stations. Last year however they had to change the route day before due to heavy rainfall so we ran basically on the loops. 2x half mar. route. Mix terrain from hard packed fire roads some tarmac section to running on the fell, wet grass.
 yorkshireman 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Andypandyroo:

> Any tips on running a marathon on a forest single track.

Get some practice on the terrain, especially the downhill as it can be quite technical.

Get some good sunglasses that allow you to see in dappled sunlight - running out of the sun, into the forest while avoiding tree roots and ruts can be a challenge. They're good eye protection too from branches (although depends how dense it is, I guess an organised marathon will be on fairly well established trails) - Felt like I almost lost an eyeball on this morning's run through the trees!

Get your quads used to the pounding they take on the downhills. Some people think compression wear helps, but see what works for you.

Don't step on a wasp nest and get stung 6 times (did that on my first ultra)
OP Andypandyroo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:

Yes, I too have nearly lost an eye running! Cut my neck instead!

Thanks for the advice
 davegs 25 Jan 2013
Fab event.

I was about 35 minutes of my half marathon best of 1:59:30.

Well supported and a really good atmosphere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...