Cheviot Conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chrisharvey 19 Jan 2013
Just wondering if anyone's been up Cheviot today. If so, what's the snow coverage like? Thinking of heading up for a bit of ski-touring.
jimmacfarlane 19 Jan 2013
Have a look at my original thread 'Cheviot Access' a few days ago in Winter Climbing - sounds like the hills are blootered (report of knee depth at 300m!) but access close to the mountains without a 4x4 could be a challenge, as is always the problem with them. In Dec 2010 I got to Akeld at 8am after some hairy driving in a mondeo, spent the entire day getting to 500 m from the summit and spent the last few hours returning in the dark! A fantastic day though. Good luck - let me know if you have any luck with access. It's meant to turn clearer on Wed and a touch above freezing with light winds after more snow Sun/Mon/Tues so might be best to wait until then. Going for a rekkie tomorrow I think (with wife and a 1 and 3 yr old!)
chrisharvey 19 Jan 2013
Thanks, I'm thinking of heading there Thursday so hoping it could be quite nice and probably accessible.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 22 Jan 2013
In reply to jimmacfarlane:

we went up there on sunday. great day all round!

http://aujayebblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/walk-in-northumberland-jan-2013...

jimmcfarlane- is it who i think it is??

Avi
skarabrae 22 Jan 2013
In reply to chrisharvey: chris, just spoke to the local shop at kielder, they have 10 inches of snow , the bbc weatehr report yesterday stated that most of northumberland had the same, so im guessing the cheviots to be good.
few from our club
http://wanneys.ning.com/
planning on heading to cheviot/alwinton on sunday for some touring.
chrisharvey 22 Jan 2013
Thanks for the replies...decisions decisions! Trying to decide between Cheviots or heading further up to Ben Lawers for some touring. Sounds like lots of snow on the Cheviots, does anyone know if it's firming up + any recommendations on routes?
Thanks, hope everyone manages to get out and have fun before the SW Gales this weekend.
jimmacfarlane 24 Jan 2013
In reply to chrisharvey:
Hi Chris, did you opt for the Cheviot today? If so, any update on the road situation above Wooler? Am assuming pretty bad given its state on Sunday and the big dump of snow on Mon/Tues. thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...