80meter Triple rated rope recommendations s'il vous plait ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boogs 17 Jan 2013
I'm just about to buy an 80 meter triple rated rope (tomorrow probably) .

Anything from 8.8mm upto 10.4mm it will be used mostly for long sports routes in Europe but would like something dry treated as it may be used on ice at some point .

I had a look at the reviews on UKC and elsewhere , will do some more research later .

But what do the gear gurus recommend ? budget of approx £200.00 at the moment . Any advice & recommendations appreciated . Cheers .....

Boogs .
 Morgan Woods 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

what's triple rated...anyway i think you would struggle to get one in 80m for around 200 but it could be your lucky day:

http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/sale/Infinity+9.5mm

this rope is awesome.
OP Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Cheers Morgan . Yes I'm being a little thrifty I suppose but have found a few under and around 200 quids . Think I'll mull it over then decide first thing tomorrow . Ta .

Leon
 jon 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

I know it's not much use to you unless you are coming to France, but you can get 80m Beal Jokers at The Blue Light in Sisteron for €135. Who knows, he might even post it to you.
OP Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

ooh that sounds like a good price Jon I may hang fire then , I've got a stash of Euros tucked away for emergencies . That could be perfect !

Right best have a look at the map then I'm due a trip to France soon anyway . Do you know if they have a website Jon ? I will have a look shortly though . Thanks for that Jon appreciated
 TobyA 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man: For an all rounder I was going to suggest the Joker as well. Of the three I reviewed http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3765 it's the one I'd still suggest for what you want.

A year and a half on the Mammut looks the best and is a nice rope although I still feel its dry treatment isn't the best. The Edelrid has scruffed up and isn't so nice to handle - quite rough and stiff feeling; although nothing fundamentally wrong with it. The Beal is a tiny bit fluffy but still handles very well and is good in terms of dryness too.
 jon 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

The shop is owned by an American who's been here a long ime. He has no website. Phone no: 04 92 31 16 57. He'll tell you how to find his shop - it'd be very difficult without having it explained. Both Enty and I have bought ropes from him last year.
 Morgan Woods 17 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

I have the 70m and would defo recommend it.
OP Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks Toby , Jon & Morgan . I was looking at the Joker initially I remember watching the video where its cut to pieces but still hanging together a reassuring thing to watch that despite how unlikely the scenario .
I've got a couple of Mammut ropes tuff as hell , A couple of Beal too like them have lasted well , have used Edelrid skinnies a few times too loved the handelling of them .

Joker was on short list with a Sterling , just couldn't find the Joker anywhere in 80mtrs . Think I'll give Mike at The Blue Light a ring tomorrow to see what stocks are like .

Nice one Gents ,thank you . Leon .
In reply to boogie man: Leon, it might be worth reminding you that there are two versions of the Joker, the original one and then a new Unicore version.

The Unicore version is the one in the Beal promotional video where the sheath is cut but the rest of the rope holds together. However, it has only recently been released so a lot of shops are probably still selling their stock of the original version.

As far as I can tell, all the other specifications are completely unchanged so unless you plan on aid climbing with lots of jumaring etc., it probably won't matter which version you get.
OP Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Hi Mark , yes that occurred to me this evening . I'll bear that in mind when checking things out over the next few days .

Thanks for raising the point , also I've been meaning to ring you RE; some static rope . I will text or ring you over the next day or two , may not be able to get out to you until I get my motor sorted though .

Cheers Mark .

Leon .
 UKB Shark 17 Jan 2013
> (In reply to boogie man)
>
> what's triple rated...anyway i think you would struggle to get one in 80m for around 200 but it could be your lucky day:
>
> http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/sale/Infinity+9.5mm
>
> this rope is awesome.

That rope is shit. I've never had a rope wear out so quickly. Not just my experience either.

Mammut Revelation is my recommendation. Hard to believe they are made by the same company.
OP Boogs 17 Jan 2013
In reply to shark:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]

> That rope is shit. I've never had a rope wear out so quickly. Not just my experience either.
>
> Mammut Revelation is my recommendation. Hard to believe they are made by the same company.

You can't beat a good honest opinion now can you Shark ? ;0)

The Mammut Revelation was on my list found an £80mtr for £190 delivered .

Cheers Shark .
needvert 18 Jan 2013
These guys seem to like the Mammut Infinity

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing-Rope-Reviews
OP Boogs 18 Jan 2013
In reply to needvert:
> These guys seem to like the Mammut Infinity
>
> http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing-Rope-Reviews

Hadn't seen these reviews . Excellent stuff thanks .

Leon
 snoop6060 18 Jan 2013
In reply to shark:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]
>
>
> That rope is shit. I've never had a rope wear out so quickly. Not just my experience either.
>
> Mammut Revelation is my recommendation. Hard to believe they are made by the same company.

Never a truer word said. ive got the infinity and it had to be cut after 2 weeks use. Complete pile of shit. I met a guy who had the exact same problem, he said it was replaced
 Morgan Woods 18 Jan 2013
In reply to snoop6060:
Interesting - i've had no issues with mine, although have only used it a couple of weeks....seems to be up to the usual high Mammut standards, just like my revelation....could it be a bad batch, which is still a bit of a worry.
 Quiddity 18 Jan 2013

alright Morgs?

I have just bought my second mammut Infinity, my girlfriend has the Revelation. My first Infinity lasted approx 4.5 years of fairly intense sport climbing, has been chopped twice in that time, and to be honest is still in reasonably good nick apart from only being 60m long now. A little bit of sheath slippage in middle of rope is only real complaint.

Having used the Revelation (which is a lovely rope don't get me wrong) I was happy enough to buy another Infinity on the basis of it being a bit more hard wearing albeit slightly heavier, and in my opinion slightly better suited to being a redpointing workhorse.

The Revelation is a joy to handle but the one bad thing I will say about it, is it loves to get snagged when pulling it down. You can bet that if there is a flake or crack or something it can get wedged behind, it will get stuck there. I wouldn't take it on something with a multi abseil descent for that reason.

YMMV of course.
 Morgan Woods 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Quiddity:

Hey Nick, hope you're still crushing....45 degrees here in Sydney today!
 Paul Bowen 18 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to boogie man)
>
> The shop is owned by an American who's been here a long ime. He has no website. Phone no: 04 92 31 16 57. He'll tell you how to find his shop - it'd be very difficult without having it explained. Both Enty and I have bought ropes from him last year.

I know Mike won't post to uk. As Jon says all 80mt ropes are €135 Beal jokers 9.1mm (rated single/double dry treated) in funky colours even black, edelweiss 9.2mm (rated single/double dry treated) Beals 9.4mm boosters 9.7mm, some of the new edelweiss do that colour pattern change thing halfway. It's quite easy to find in the old back streets of sisteron just above the river
OP Boogs 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul Bowen:

Okay noted Paul cheers , I did try to ring Mike at the Blue Light this morning but couldn't get through . If I make it down that far I will definitely seek Mike & his shop out . Thanks for your reply Paul .

Leon .
 jon 18 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man:

Sorry, I forgot that he told me he was going on holiday for three weeks. That would probably be around now, but just check you got the no right: 00 33 4 92 31 16 57.
OP Boogs 18 Jan 2013
In reply to jon:

Okay Jon thats cool , yes thats the number I tried it looks like it will be a while before I can get down there anyway , In the mean time I'll try to track my cousin down who lives just out Biarritz somewhere . See if I can work something out .

Thanks for your help Jon .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...