Transporter, Vito, or Hiace???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamieA 16 Jan 2013
Hi all,
Trying to decide on a van. Any experiences out there anyone can share about the above 3 vans?
Cheers, Jamie
 Boogs 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:

I'm looking to buy a van to convert for climbing/camping trips in the very near future , I had an 06 plate VW Transporter panel van for 18months as a works bus I loved it but simply can't justify the premium for the cool badge & reputation . Great reliable & reasonably quick van though . But ruled out because of prices .

Also had a Vito for a while and believe that the older ones are relatively cheap for a reason . Over all not too bad a van if you can find a good example at the right price ! ( Like most things I suppose really ? ) .

But after talking to a few mechanics ( including 2 Transporter owners ) recently have been convinced that the Toyota Hiace is the way forward for me . ( I drove a few Hi Lux Twincabs for a while & grew to love them , hell of a bit of kit ) .
 deepsoup 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:
Any particular reason the Renault Trafic/Vauxhall Vivaro/Nissan Primastar isn't on your list? It's a good alternative to a T5 imo. Mine has 180,000 miles on it and still drives beautifully, I'll definitely replace it with another one if/when I finally wear it out.
 Andy Hardy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:
From memory I think the hiace is rear wheel drive, which is a bit limiting in snow.
OP JamieA 16 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man: Yes, Toyota seems to get a lot of respect for it's reliability. Haven't yet managed to find one near/cheap enough!
OP JamieA 16 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup: Only that i like the narrower vans really for the bendy roads i live on in N Wales. Also Primastar gets a lot of grief online over injectors after 80k.
OP JamieA 16 Jan 2013
In reply to 999thAndy: Hmmm, good point!
 Baron Weasel 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: I have a T4 and would NOT recommend them as it constantly seems to need money spending on it.

BW
 the power 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: Wots your budget?
OP JamieA 16 Jan 2013
In reply to the power: £3,000 ish
 the power 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: £3,000 would rule out vito or your would end up with one of those spanish made models with body work problems.hiace is a good reliable van,ive had two over the years the oldest a W reg is still going strong now with my brothers construction company never had any major problems more than normal wear and tear and they proper abuse it, i dought they have even checked the oil in 5 years.i wouldnt recomend a vivaro had 2 in the past both with major problems that luckly were sorted under waranty
paultobiasmason 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: Hiace gets my vote, good size if it's your only vehicle, bought one second-hand with 110,000 on the clock and runs totally fine, there's about four on our street in various stages of conversion.

A mate had a vito and he had loads of problems.

simonzxr 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:

Hiace I reckon. I was looking a year or so back. Pre- 2006/7 Vitos do not have galvanised bodywork, T5's are out of your price range and T4's tend to go for silly money even though they are old and dated.
 ripper 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: newer Vitos (all bar the original bodyshape) are all rear-wheel drive too
OP JamieA 16 Jan 2013
In reply to the power: Thanks for all your help everyone!
 quirky 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: We had a jap import Hiace, most reliable vehicle i have ever owned!! A bit thirsty (3l diesel auto) but started on the button every time and never a thing went wrong with it! Took it everywhere, it was not 4wd but would go anywhere. Just to redress the balance i have had several vw vans from split screen onwards......never again!!!
 dave frost 16 Jan 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to JamieA)
> From memory I think the hiace is rear wheel drive, which is a bit limiting in snow.

Really our LWB high top sprinter is rear wheel drive and we got through a bad snow storm on our way up to argentiere without needing snow chains, good snow tyres help of course.

Cheers
Dave
 Ian Broome 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: I bought a 2001 VW transporter T4. £3000, replaced glow plugs, and had cambelt done and a sevice. Did 40,000 no problem. 35mpg on a good run so not the most economical, I realised the amount of times I used it as a camper didn't warrant keeping it for the rest of time I didn't. Got a VW passat instead.
 Gudge 17 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:

+1 for the Hiace. Had mine a year and done 25000 miles in it without a hitch - by far the most reliable vehicle I've had.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...