/ Transporter, Vito, or Hiace???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JamieA - on 16 Jan 2013
Hi all,
Trying to decide on a van. Any experiences out there anyone can share about the above 3 vans?
Cheers, Jamie
Boogs on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:

I'm looking to buy a van to convert for climbing/camping trips in the very near future , I had an 06 plate VW Transporter panel van for 18months as a works bus I loved it but simply can't justify the premium for the cool badge & reputation . Great reliable & reasonably quick van though . But ruled out because of prices .

Also had a Vito for a while and believe that the older ones are relatively cheap for a reason . Over all not too bad a van if you can find a good example at the right price ! ( Like most things I suppose really ? ) .

But after talking to a few mechanics ( including 2 Transporter owners ) recently have been convinced that the Toyota Hiace is the way forward for me . ( I drove a few Hi Lux Twincabs for a while & grew to love them , hell of a bit of kit ) .
deepsoup - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:
Any particular reason the Renault Trafic/Vauxhall Vivaro/Nissan Primastar isn't on your list? It's a good alternative to a T5 imo. Mine has 180,000 miles on it and still drives beautifully, I'll definitely replace it with another one if/when I finally wear it out.
999thAndy on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:
From memory I think the hiace is rear wheel drive, which is a bit limiting in snow.
JamieA - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to boogie man: Yes, Toyota seems to get a lot of respect for it's reliability. Haven't yet managed to find one near/cheap enough!
JamieA - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to deepsoup: Only that i like the narrower vans really for the bendy roads i live on in N Wales. Also Primastar gets a lot of grief online over injectors after 80k.
JamieA - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to 999thAndy: Hmmm, good point!
Baron Weasel - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: I have a T4 and would NOT recommend them as it constantly seems to need money spending on it.

BW
the power - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: Wots your budget?
JamieA - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to the power: 3,000 ish
the power - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: 3,000 would rule out vito or your would end up with one of those spanish made models with body work problems.hiace is a good reliable van,ive had two over the years the oldest a W reg is still going strong now with my brothers construction company never had any major problems more than normal wear and tear and they proper abuse it, i dought they have even checked the oil in 5 years.i wouldnt recomend a vivaro had 2 in the past both with major problems that luckly were sorted under waranty
paultobiasmason - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: Hiace gets my vote, good size if it's your only vehicle, bought one second-hand with 110,000 on the clock and runs totally fine, there's about four on our street in various stages of conversion.

A mate had a vito and he had loads of problems.

simonzxr - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:

Hiace I reckon. I was looking a year or so back. Pre- 2006/7 Vitos do not have galvanised bodywork, T5's are out of your price range and T4's tend to go for silly money even though they are old and dated.
ripper - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: newer Vitos (all bar the original bodyshape) are all rear-wheel drive too
JamieA - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to the power: Thanks for all your help everyone!
quirky - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: We had a jap import Hiace, most reliable vehicle i have ever owned!! A bit thirsty (3l diesel auto) but started on the button every time and never a thing went wrong with it! Took it everywhere, it was not 4wd but would go anywhere. Just to redress the balance i have had several vw vans from split screen onwards......never again!!!
dave frost - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to JamieA)
> From memory I think the hiace is rear wheel drive, which is a bit limiting in snow.

Really our LWB high top sprinter is rear wheel drive and we got through a bad snow storm on our way up to argentiere without needing snow chains, good snow tyres help of course.

Cheers
Dave
Ian Broome - on 16 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA: I bought a 2001 VW transporter T4. 3000, replaced glow plugs, and had cambelt done and a sevice. Did 40,000 no problem. 35mpg on a good run so not the most economical, I realised the amount of times I used it as a camper didn't warrant keeping it for the rest of time I didn't. Got a VW passat instead.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Gudge on 17 Jan 2013
In reply to JamieA:

+1 for the Hiace. Had mine a year and done 25000 miles in it without a hitch - by far the most reliable vehicle I've had.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.