strung out moles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gunbo 14 Jan 2013
Hi folks was out with my camera and thought this made a intresting photo.Had a mixed response from friends so thought i'd post here. If you like i also have a facebook group called Clan Gunn Photography please have a look and if you like join.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i437/gunnybo/allendalehexham015_zps2677...
 The Pylon King 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Yeah that really turned me and the missus on. We're off upstairs now.
 Ian Broome 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Think the subject is a bit bit dark, poor sods, it looks like they've been killed for digging up some wild fields not Wimbledon. Why make a subject of them its not as if their pals are going to see and heed their execution??

was kind of expecting to see moles on crack or something.

strung out

1 : physically weak as from long-term drug addiction
2 : addicted to a drug
3 : Totally high from drug use
Everyone was so strung out last night at the concert.
 Philip 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to gunbo)
>
> Yeah that really turned me and the missus on. We're off upstairs now.

You might prefer this photo of a line of moles

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/212/a/d/hands_and_moles_______by_ste...

NSFW
OP gunbo 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: apart from maybe highlighting killing moles for no big reason the fields were marshy and of poor quality anyway. I though it was just a interesting photo I would have been worried if it gave you and your wife ideas....
 Bimble 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Traditionally, the moles were strung up like that so the landowner can see the molecatcher is doing his job properly. Nowt wrong with it, tis a rural tradition.

Not a bad photo either
OP gunbo 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: yeah I though they'd been hung up for that reason probably went past a dozen or so groups (in various stages of decomp) Glad you appreciated the photo as well.
 Rock Badger 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Thats F*K'N horrible,, moles are cool wee creatures
 Rock Badger 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: What a shame, as others have said it looks like the middle of nowhere in some pretty shitty fields. Fair enough on your lawn or that,, but still.

What would you make of a fence line of dead badgers

or UKC'rs
 krikoman 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Someone's nicked their crucifixes
 krikoman 14 Jan 2013
In reply to krikoman: or is that crucifixi?
 Rock Badger 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Nice photo's on your facebook page though,

pointless mole killing should be discouraged though
 Rock Badger 14 Jan 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: What tradition,,,pointlessly killing shit,,,,thats why we have so few wild mammals in the UK,,,,,tw*t,,,,,oh its ok we've being doing it for years,,,,dhuuuu
 pec 14 Jan 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:

> Traditionally, the moles were strung up like that so the landowner can see the molecatcher is doing his job properly. Nowt wrong with it, tis a rural tradition.
>

Thanks for that explanation. I saw the same thing in the Forest Of Bowland last year exept there were about 50 moles and wondered what the hell it was all about.
It felt a bit like in the good old days when they'd hang draw and quarter people and make a real show of it to act as a deterrant except of course that even if moles were deterred by the pointless slaughter of their brethren they wouldn't actually be able to see it.

Mikkel 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Its like little mini Jesus's on a string
 Joss 14 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Tinker, tailor, soldier..
OP gunbo 14 Jan 2013
In reply to count: thanks for having a look at Facebook page glad you like
 The Pylon King 14 Jan 2013
In reply to count:
> (In reply to TryfAndy) What tradition,,,pointlessly killing shit,,,,thats why we have so few wild mammals in the UK,,,,,tw*t,,,,,oh its ok we've being doing it for years,,,,dhuuuu

+1
 Bimble 15 Jan 2013
In reply to count:
> (In reply to TryfAndy) What tradition,,,pointlessly killing shit,,,,thats why we have so few wild mammals in the UK,,,,,tw*t,,,,,oh its ok we've being doing it for years,,,,dhuuuu

And I take it you grew up in a town then?
It isn't pointless, moles cause a hazard to cattle & horses by weakening the ground and providing a conveniently sized hole for them to break their legs in when they break through the surface crust. Also, soil dug from molehills will contaminate silage when cut, rendering it reasonably useless.

Unless you plan on all of us living on whatever we can pick wild, I think you'll find there's a cost to wildlife no matter what, meat-eater or veggie. And the more townies understand that, the less they'll whinge when they see a corpse or two.
 Bimble 15 Jan 2013
In reply to pec:

It works with crow corpses left hanging around game covers; they don't like to see their dead brethren strung up, so bugger off before bothering to try & nick eggs.
Rigid Raider 15 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Chilling subject but nice composition.
 Rock Badger 15 Jan 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: Born an bred country on farms and estates, so yes i am aware conflicts, but really killing moles in what looks like really low level out put fields,,,,its tradition,,,,, thats what they've said about wildcats,,polecats,, golden eagles, sea eagles, red kites, otters,,,badgers,,stoats,,,weasels,,bears,,,wolfs,,,, pretty much every mammal out their,,, doesnt make it right....a lot of backwards country folk will come up with any lame justification to kill shit,,,,,,,and make it their hobby,,

its all fine to waste badgers and otters its tradition,,,,, they are causing such an such blaaa bllaaaa problem,,,
any old excuse
 Rock Badger 15 Jan 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: I dont mind seeing a corpse or two, do a bit hunting myself for deer and rabbits,,however they are being eaten and respected a lot,,
 Fraser 15 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Think you should have put a warning on that before posting. Not my idea of a good photo, or a good subject.
 Rock Badger 15 Jan 2013
In reply to count: And not left hung on a fence by their nose at the side of the road,, people and families dont want to see that, its not nice.. in some situations i can agree with killing moles, ie lawns, golf courses, certain fields, but not on the type of site shown in photo, and do it tastefully, tradition or not folk dont want to see that these days.
OP gunbo 15 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: Hey folks thanks for the replys bit of a mixed bag which I think that's what makes photos interesting. I don't condone the killing of moles in that sort of area but I was not upset to see it it part and parcel of rural life. It's not really any different from road kill anyway thanks again for looking here and Facebook page.
EdTheDuck 15 Jan 2013
In reply to count:

Likewise I can really understand it when they kill them for golf...
Flat4matt 15 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Killed for golf??? Nothing deserves to be killed for that shite, or anything for that matter!
The biggest load of bollocks going! A new olympic sport????!!! my arse!!!

Kill no living thing. Those buddists have got it right!!!

Back to the pic, subject aside, its shot quite well. Decent framing and sends a harrowing thought to any wouldbe mud pusher in your back yard :-D
 Dauphin 15 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

Seen this a few times mainly around Kirkby Stephen. It Seemed pretty odd first time I saw it, very primitive way of displaying your mole hunting prowess. An old old tradition. Nice photo though.

D
In reply to Flat4matt:
> (In reply to gunbo)
>
> Killed for golf??? Nothing deserves to be killed for that shite, or anything for that matter!
> The biggest load of bollocks going! A new olympic sport????!!! my arse!!!
>
> Kill no living thing. Those buddists have got it right!!!

I agree. I refuse even to get out the fly killer now. Seriously. Why should we act like horrible gods, and execute living things just because we find them 'inconvenient'? Everything living, however small, is a creation of total wonder. And quite mind-bogglingly sophisticated .. in fact.
In reply to Dauphin:

It's a horrible photo. Period.
 Rubbishy 15 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

F*ck me - Mike Harding had a picture similar to that in one of his books frm the 80's - the caption was Poor Old Mowdies.

I thought we had come on since then.

As for being born in a town, so what. Piss your customer base of why don't you and build your own Land Rover in a f*cking cattle byre then.
 bpmclimb 16 Jan 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:
> (In reply to count)
> [...]

>
> Unless you plan on all of us living on whatever we can pick wild, I think you'll find there's a cost to wildlife no matter what, meat-eater or veggie. And the more townies understand that, the less they'll whinge when they see a corpse or two.

There's plenty of things in the world that have a cost to human life, too. How about posting some "interesting" pictures of human corpses and admiring the composition - or would that be in bad taste?

OP gunbo 16 Jan 2013

i find myself looking at other peoples photos even when i dont like them i can appreciate them for the work and skill within the photo its self
 Dax H 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Flat4matt:
> (In reply to gunbo)
>
> Killed for golf??? Nothing deserves to be killed for that shite,

How about killing golfers instead, the moles and all the other wildlife that is disrupted by the course will be saved.

krikoman 17 Jan 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
> (In reply to TryfAndy)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> There's plenty of things in the world that have a cost to human life, too. How about posting some "interesting" pictures of human corpses and admiring the composition -

or Decomposition

Bimble 17 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:
>
>
> i find myself looking at other peoples photos even when i dont like them i can appreciate them for the work and skill within the photo its self

Same here. And I don't go around putting animals at the same level as I put people, or get squeamish about a few corpses.
Flat4matt 17 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo:

I'm not religious in anyway shape or form, however when I read a quote from someone, I was taken back and truly believe in the point being made.

"Humans were gods worst creation"

I personally dont belive in god or that theory of how the world was made but I have to totally agree with the point of that statement and when I see photos like that, I think of it.

I cant remember who said it but they were right!!!
 JH74 17 Jan 2013
In reply to TryfAndy:
> (In reply to gunbo)
> [...]
>
> Same here. And I don't go around putting animals at the same level as I put people, or get squeamish about a few corpses.

Well said. It's only an animal. As long as it's dead it can't cause a potential nuisance. Nuisance must be avoided at all costs after all.
Flat4matt 17 Jan 2013
In reply to JH74:

Tut tut
OP gunbo 17 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: i've always been told a good photo gets people talking so it seems to me wether it be content or quality or whatever it seems i've taken a good photo so i'm happy.
Once again thanks for comments good and bad
OP gunbo 17 Jan 2013
In reply to gunbo: whether even
 Dauphin 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Assuming it's taken on a camera phone?

If you have a RAW a bit of sharpening and post processing and maybe a crop would do it some justice. Focus is all out but I assume it's the camera phone auto focus doing all the work.

I think it conforms broadly to the rule of thirds?
Interesting subject matter definitely.

D

OP gunbo 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Dauphin: actually taken on canon eos 1100d it was on the cuff as he dog kept pulling on the lead trying to get the bloody moles
farmerboy 18 Jan 2013
In reply to JH74:

You lot make me chuckle, anybody would have thought the OP personally clubbed the moles to death with his camera, a photo is just a record of something thats in front of you, dead bodies lying in WW1 trenches aren't a very nice subject but they were recorded none the less, not once has the OP tried to justify the killing of the the moles yet he's been slaited for taking the photo, its just a record of country life, wether you agree with it or not, get a grip people!

FWIW I'm not keen on the photo, but it's nothing to do with the subject matter.
 bpmclimb 19 Jan 2013
In reply to farmerboy:
> (In reply to JH74)
>
not once has the OP tried to justify the killing of the the moles yet he's been slaited for taking the photo,

> Let's not start feeling too sorry for the OP, he hasn't been slated that much by UKC standards, and he must have been expecting a few adverse reactions posting that photo on a public forum - unless he's a complete moron.

> FWIW I'm not keen on the photo, but it's nothing to do with the subject matter.

Fine, that's you. Personally I was indifferent to the photo, but not particularly keen on the subject matter. I don't particularly see what there is to chuckle about, but hey - whatever floats your boat

Morgan P 19 Jan 2013
In reply to count:
> (In reply to TryfAndy) its tradition,,,,, thats what they've said about wildcats,,polecats,, golden eagles, sea eagles, red kites, otters,,,badgers,,stoats,,,weasels,,bears,,,wolfs,,,, pretty much every mammal out their,,, doesnt make it right....a lot of backwards country folk will come up with any lame justification to kill shit,,,,,,,and make it their hobby,,
>
> its all fine to waste badgers and otters its tradition,,,,, they are causing such an such blaaa bllaaaa problem,,,
> any old excuse

Agree, that photo is horrible.

craig h 19 Jan 2013
In reply to Morgan P:

I like it, after all it's not the sanitised country side people too often see these days, it's what actually goes on in a working environment.

A couple of mine from strolls in my local working evnironment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21913923@N03/5280874342/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21913923@N03/2184500987/
OP gunbo 19 Jan 2013
In reply to craig h: hey mate nice photos prefer "three dead crows" some nice colours in the background both nice pics though glad I'm not the only one taking pictures like this. I do have one of a rabbit that a terrier got a hold of.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...