Navigation and avalanche awareness aids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leeds Andy 13 Jan 2013
Hi All

I just put a couple of new downloads on our website. One is a load of sheets of various credit card sized navigation aids. We print them off and laminate them. They have information such as pacing and timing information. A cool way to get an estimate of the angle of slope (30 and 45 degree slopes on 1:40000 and 1:50000 maps), magnetic variation and some blank avalanche risk dials. Have a look, you'll get the idea.

http://ow.ly/gM6Ov

The other one is a sheet to print off to check the weather in the days before you go out in winter to have a log of what has been going on to help with the snowpack analysis when you get there.

http://ow.ly/gM3GC

If you have any feedback on any of this then I'd welcome it. We've been using the navigation aids for a long time but the weather and avalanche forecast log is something I've been meaning to do for ages.

I'm off Bothying in Scotland tomorrow and won't have internet access until the end of the week so if you do send me any comments I am not ignoring you and will acknowledge them after next weekend.

Andy
 top cat 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Leeds Andy:

useful stuff, but that's a lot of credit card floating about. fiddly.

How about it all on an A5 laminate, with the gradient calculators at each corner (so that you can apply to map) and more info on the pacing....only per hundred meters gives you lots of sums to do. I know it is easy enough to to work out say 380m from a 100m pacing rate but anything that eliminates errors in the field is good. (in the same way that you have broken down the timing)

Think A5 is too big? Consider the size of the map: even folded it is rarley if ever less than A5. You can use both sides, one for nav aids, one for avalanche aids.

Mag variation numbers need to be in bold, or remove the background logo.

cheers
TC
seaofdreams 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Leeds Andy:

Mag variation numbers need "west" and or "negative" written against them
seaofdreams 16 Jan 2013
In reply to seaofdreams:

also that assumes that by 2017 we dont swap to being "east" and or "postive". i havent checked.

nice one
 Lucy Wallace 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Leeds Andy:
Nice one thanks! Been looking for gradient calculators for a while.
OP Leeds Andy 19 Jan 2013
In reply to top cat:
Hi Topcat.

The idea is not that you print them all off but you choose the two that most fit your needs (probably based on eyesight )and print them off on either side of a single credit card slip. Personally I think that even that is too big hence the inch square one that I use (hole punched and put on the compass string.

Wow breaking down the pacing, I never thought of that. Surely it would be a huge table to take into account all pacings (mine go from 63-150 depending on terrain

I'll sort out the viability of the magnetic variation number.

Cheers for the feedback, food for thought. A..
In reply to seaofdreams:

With regard to the west / east on the mag variation I think I wait until some locatiions switch before squeezing this info on(I assume they will at some point). At present I think it is enough that we teach witch way to do it under which circumstances and then this just gives the amount to do it by.

Cheers

Andy
In reply to Snoweider:
> (In reply to Leeds Andy)
> Nice one thanks! Been looking for gradient calculators for a while.

When I sat down to work this out it took about 2 hours of wracking my brain of how to do it. If you want to do more then I seem to remember it was all to do with tan=Opp/Adj. (I did the cards a couple of years ago now)

I had to look up how to do it all again as I couldn't remember the maths but it was pretty easy to find a web page explaining how to do it.

I then used either illustrator or coreldraw to do the markings.

Good Luck

inboard 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Leeds Andy:
Thanks for this Andy - the slope angle/ contour guide is especially welcome... I used to have a really useful small plastic card produced by a major Swiss gear manufacturer which did exactly this, and was ideal for skitouring. It broke, so I'm pleased to have a replacement, and particularly one without corporate branding all over it!

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...