Overshoes - worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 13 Jan 2013
Had to admit defeat today after some biking - my feet were useless blocks appended to my legs.
Do overshoes work in keeping feet warm and dry, and if so which ones?
Ride with spds, today was mixture of snow, rain and lots of surface water so feet wer wet and cold.
interdit 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

'Worth it?' - Fekin' essential if it gets cold. Means the difference between me riding and not.

I use gore windstopper overshoes on the roadie if its cold, but not freezing.
I switch to some Endura neoprene overshoes once really cold - They make your feet overheat otherwise!

I use Endura neoprene on the MTB too - They are different. The MTB ones have ridged grips to allow you to walk in them. The road ones are lighter.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear/overshoes-1/
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275

Lots of different manufacturers do the same sort of stuff.

nniff 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

I have windstopper toe covers (i.e just half the foot). Certainly make a difference, but at 2 degrees this morning I had slightly chilly toes after an hour, but with only a thin pair of socks. They keep the wet out well enough and let you adjust the shoe still when they're on (I am inept at getting it right first time)
 Baron Weasel 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Got Planet x neoprene ones and really good. You still get wet after a bit, but stay nice and warm. As they are on offer they are super worth it IMO.

BW
 tobykeep 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

Definitely, they've changed my life!
Removed User 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Yesterdays ride out on the road in dry but cold conditions necessitated; Smartwool liner socks, Assos spring/summer socks, road shoes, Endura neoprene overshoes. Toasty toes! If it gets really cold I would replace the Assos socks with Defeet Woolie Boolie's. However, the overshoes are the crux part, wind and waterproofing your shoes. Spd's are a bugger for cold feet.
 VS4b 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Removed User:
Essential. I have planet x ones but here not as warm as the ones I had before. Would not buy again, even for a tenner
 quirky 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Another vote for planet x neoprene over shoes, after years of toughing it out during the winter months i am now a 100% overshoe convert!!
 TobyA 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Yes, just get some. My best ones cost about €14 from the Finnish equivalent of Halfords. Really cheap for the huge difference they make.

I wrote quite a lot about keeping my toes warm when riding on my blog last autumn: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/trail-riding-and-avoiding-cold...
 misterb 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:
essential kit for winter and probably the rest of this year due to rain fall.try the endura neoprene ones they are really good.
 andy 13 Jan 2013
In reply to madbaza: Another vote for Endura neoprene. I actually have some Northwave ones now as they go over my Northwave winter boot things, but if you're in normal cycling shoes then the Endura ones are the dog's.
Rigid Raider 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

Yep; Endura neoprene. Toasty feet whatever the weather.
 Radioactiveman 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

I dont think they are worth it in the long wrong. Have had a few pairs and they tend to get rips or wear out. After the 3rd pair I bought some shimano mtb winter boots which I use on road bike and MTB. Much warmer and drier.

Higher initial investment but I have had them for >3 years. Pretty sure I would have trashed plenty of overshoes in 3 yrs and they are much warmer than summer shoes + overshoes

Overshoes are fine for spring/autumn/random crap days but I much prefer my goretex winter boots.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Agreed. Get one size larger though.
 alan wilson 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Plus One for the Endura neoprene type, I finally caved in last week after a long period of religously following Rule #5, and man o man what a difference, the feet will still get cold of course in weather like we had today ( 0 C and snow on the ground with slushy roads) but if you put 'em on warm they will extend your comfort zone a lot. Cost me £25 at the LBS.
 gethin_allen 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:
I bought the endura road neoprene overshoes and had a couple of issues with them. The Velcro type tab wouldn't stay done up because the rubber tab was so thick and ridged and the zips have come apart numerous times.
If I was buying again I'd go cheap and cheerful.
 alan wilson 13 Jan 2013
In reply to gethin_allen: I think the model I bought was called the Endura Deluge or something, they are zipless one piece pull them on things, a wee bit tight to get on but not too bad and work well.
 LastBoyScout 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

Definitely worth it.

I've got NorthWave and Polaris ones for the road bike - think I've got some Endura ones for mountain biking which I've never used, as I got proper winter biking shoes soon after and they don't fit my current road shoes.
OP Pids 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

Instead of overshoes what about sealk skin socks - already have these from walking/climbing

If I stuck a thin pair of thermal socks on then the sealkskins then feet should be warm and dry?

Any water ingress from stuff coming down the leg will just be the same if I was wearing over shoes anyway ?
 Loughan 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: The thing about overshoes is they basically stop your shoes from getting sodden and cut the wind out. My ghetto student favourite was shopping bags which wasn't so bad when comuting through edinburgh in the winter, summer was a different matter
 lynda 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: my Shimano overshoes are a god send. Especially with our weather.
In reply to Pids:
> (In reply to Pids)
>
> Instead of overshoes what about sealk skin socks - already have these from walking/climbing
>
> If I stuck a thin pair of thermal socks on then the sealkskins then feet should be warm and dry?
>
> Any water ingress from stuff coming down the leg will just be the same if I was wearing over shoes anyway ?

My usual winter footwear,

1. Endura ThermoLite socks
2. Sealskinz socks
3. Shoes (obviously)
4. Endura Neoprenes

Buy British!
 ebygomm 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

Ditch the spd's, get flats and wear winter boots = toasty feet
 steveriley 14 Jan 2013
Definitely. They don't like a lot of walking though, so if I'm on the MTB in proper bonkers winter weather I sometimes use flats and boots.
In reply to Pids:

I get mine from Aldi -- when they have the sale of winter biking gear. Cheap as chips -- I get 2 pairs and they last me all winter. It's not worth spending lots on them and you invariably wear out the underside of the toes whenver you put your foot down at traffic lights etc. Keep my feet dry and toasty enough.
 Timmd 15 Jan 2013
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Pids)
>
> Ditch the spd's, get flats and wear winter boots = toasty feet

Yes, or walking socks inside waterproof socks inside baggy shoes/trainers.

The nicest helping of toast comes from wearing fleece waterproof mountaineering mits I think, it's worth cycling in the cold just to enjoy the niceness of warm hands while out in snow and ice.

It's like a warm bath for you hands. Lovely. ()
 Timmd 15 Jan 2013
In reply to Timmd:Not fleece, fleece lined.
 Timmd 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

Just had hot aches in my toes, overshoes are definately worth it.

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow.
 rallymania 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids:

and another yes to overshoes... but you are also using Spuds? spuds are a burgler for cold feet because the cleat is metal, connected by metal bolts to a metal plate inside your shoe... you sock / foot is then only a a thin foot bed away from a metal heat sink that sucks the heat out of your shoe. if possible put a better insole in to insulate the bottom of your foot too!
 Tricky Dicky 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Planet X overshoes, you won't regret it
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Might need some warmer ones - my feet were getting quite cold today in my normal overshoes though it was -2C

ALC
 graeme jackson 17 Jan 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to Pids)
>
> and another yes to overshoes... but you are also using Spuds? spuds are a burgler for cold feet because the cleat is metal, connected by metal bolts to a metal plate inside your shoe... you sock / foot is then only a a thin foot bed away from a metal heat sink that sucks the heat out of your shoe.

A very good point. Also, SPDs don't fill the entire cleat hole in the sole so you can get water ingress anyway. Once mine are in the correct place I always fill any gaps with silicone sealant.
 Banned User 77 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Pids: Aye.. make a massive difference. I've only worn a fairly standard pair, dhb windproof ones, they've still made a massive difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...