100 mile cycle route out of London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 superturbo 11 Jan 2013
I'd like to do a 100 mile cycle starting out of London (based in east London)

Can anyone suggest a route that follows relatively quiet roads?

Thanks
 jamesc88 11 Jan 2013
In reply to WillBroad: London to Bournemouth (just over 100 miles) is a stunning route, you can find the route on LFGSS.com, ends up at the Beach for an ice cream. Route heads out through Richmond and then follows the old London road south. A little bit of climbing and a whole lot of scenic countryside later you end up in the New Forest for about 30 miles of joy before hitting the coast.
 silhouette 11 Jan 2013
In reply to WillBroad: Overnight in midsummer there is the famous "Dunwich Dynamo" which ends up at the drowned town on the Suffolk coast; I guess there will be a route for it somewhere on the web.
 Brass Nipples 11 Jan 2013
In reply to WillBroad:

London to kings Lynn and train bike
 JM 11 Jan 2013
In reply to jamesc88: That sounds great. I might do that next weekend if the weather is reasonably pleasant. Also, the London to Kings Lynn sounds good as I haven't been there since I was born there 29 years ago!
 silhouette 11 Jan 2013
In reply to WillBroad: Are you new in London? Have you considered two single train tickets - not too expensive if you have a discount card. I've done part of Sustrans 51 from (I think) Cambridge to (I think) Oxford; the bits I've done are surprisingly quiet. You can extend that route at either end - Oxford to Banbury is good, along the cycle track to Woodstock then up through the villages (Great Tew, etc).
 chris_B 11 Jan 2013
In reply to WillBroad:

The Olympic road race route is a really good ride. About 100miles from North London (Zone 2) including 2 laps of Box Hill.
OP superturbo 14 Jan 2013
In reply to silhouette: I'm new to cycling long distances in London. Ended up trying to wing a route from east london towards Southend, ended up getting lost around Romford/Dagenham/Ilford. Horrendous cycle!
paulcarey 14 Jan 2013
In reply to WillBroad:
To be honest I would get a train out to the edge of London and then cycle.
But if you really want to do it..

....you could start at the Wanstead FLats and cycle northwards largely through commons and woods to Epping Forest. Or just head out towards CHigwell/Hainault as I think it it is pretty rural from there.
 VS4b 14 Jan 2013
In reply to paulcarey:
London to Cambridge is nice - follow the BHF charity route which is readily available online. Its about 55ish miles and a lovely route on the whole once past London anyway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...