DofE Assessors course - what to expect?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Davies 09 Jan 2013
Booked onto a DofE assessors course but can't find much info about it online. Anyone know what the score is on the day? Do they make us do some nav or show kids how to put up a tent etc? Anything I should brush up on in advance?
 Lucy Wallace 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Davies:

Not sure what your experience or background is, but its fairly straightforward. The course assumes that you have the necessary skills to lead in the mountains already- but covers specific aspects of assessing the awards. The one I did was classroom based, and involved a fair bit of learning about the award, and some scenarios to discuss in the group. If I was going to brush up on anything it would be the DofE award scheme.
RFA 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Snoweider: You may find the following link useful.

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/leaders/resources-download/
 jezb1 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Davies: Prepare to be bored and bite your tongue in my experience.

Try not to expect too much and you won't be dissapointed.

In my experience it was 20 minutes of infomation stretched into 6 hours. Make sure you do the online learning first. It is essential that you do this so that you can repeat it all again during the day. If you don't do it online first then you won't be able to suffer the boredom at the same level as everyone else.

On the plus side, there might be coffee and biscuits.
 Sl@te Head 09 Jan 2013
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:
> (In reply to Martin Davies)
>
> Try not to expect too much and you won't be dissapointed.
>
> In my experience it was 20 minutes of infomation stretched into 6 hours. Make sure you do the online learning first. It is essential that you do this so that you can repeat it all again during the day. If you don't do it online first then you won't be able to suffer the boredom at the same level as everyone else.
>
> On the plus side, there might be coffee and biscuits.

Sums it up perfectly!!!!
 Tim Davies 09 Jan 2013

Nothing practical, questionnaire about d of e's "20 points" and errrrr, that was it.

All the above (negative) comments are quite accurate.

Enjoy.
stu maci 09 Jan 2013
Utter boredom. Questions such as - should you fail a group for stopping to get an ice-cream?
 PGD 09 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Davies: nothing practical. All about DofE ethos.
OP Martin Davies 09 Jan 2013
In reply to PGD: Cool, thanks everyone for the advice!
 Mike Nolan 12 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:
> should you fail a group for stopping to get an ice-cream?

Out of interest, would you?
 Paul at work 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to stu maci)
> [...]
>
> Out of interest, would you?

No I bloody wouldn't! And if any assessor that I employed tried that, they wouldn't work for me again!

DofE assessors course = waste of time.
 Mike Nolan 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Paul at work: Yep, that's what we were told when I did Gold last year.
 angry pirate 13 Jan 2013
In reply to stu maci:
> Utter boredom. Questions such as - should you fail a group for stopping to get an ice-cream?

This is of course assuming they carried the ice cream van in with them
 Mad Tommy 13 Jan 2013
Ice cream? No, I wouldn't. They are allowed to refill on drinks, and as far as I'm concerned, an ice cream is just a chilled drink in this context.

If, on the other hand, I found them tucking into a takeaway pizza and chips, then things might be different!
 Tim Sparrow 13 Jan 2013
In reply to Martin Davies: I wore my check shirt so I would fit in. Had I had time to grow a beard that would have been ideal. Don't smoke a pipe at the event, but do consider your slippers.
 Tim Davies 13 Jan 2013

Under DE rules all they have to do is sleep in a tent and cook a meal for themselves.

And as long as you call them "young persons" you'll be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...