NEW REVIEW: Therm-a-rest NeoAir XTherm Camping Mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 27 Dec 2012
The author enjoying the NeoAir at Camp 3, 3 kbUKC competition winner Jonathan Fuller reviews his prize: the NeoAir XTherm from Therm-a-Rest. More information about the mat is available on the Cascade Designs website here.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5064
HenryJM 29 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: I bought one of these in august, slept on it about 10 times in the lakes. It is a fantastic bit of kit, warm enough to allow me to carry my 3 season bag into December, really comfy (I've never been able to sleep on my side on a mat before) and lighter than my old full length thin thermarest (cant quite remember the model).
My only grumble is it is quite narrow (or I'm quite wide!) so if its too warm to be inside you bag your elbows are on the floor, and as it's 5 cm thick its fells a bit odd. However, it's not been particularly warm this year, so not often a problem!
I strongly recommend shelling out the extra cash on one of these.
ice.solo 29 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:

Great to see these being reviewed finally. Good stuff.

If thats your piss bottle in the photo you need to drink more.
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 29 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: Aye, a great bit of kit, especially if you sleep on your side, but the only other thing I'd add is that if you are tall then you will either have your feet off the end or to find an enormous pile of kit to make up the head end to a decent height!
 Reach>Talent 29 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:
"The mat is, however, rather noisy compared to a foam one, sounding like a large crisp packet..."

Too right, I nearly murdered a friend who used one of these because of this. If you move about in your sleep then don't buy one unless your friends are more tolerant than me (possibly not hard) or completely deaf.
needvert 01 Jan 2013
Got used to the noisy aspect pretty fast, I move around a lot and it hasn't irritated any tent partners yet.

Using the stuff sack to inflate it is indeed a waste of time. I bring a big garbage bag when feeling lazy and fit the valve to that.

Much nicer to roll up than a self inflating mat too.
 Tom F Harding 01 Jan 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

One of the welded baffles that go across the mat split on a friends. Ended up with a big lump in the middle. Have there been improvments to the design in the last couple of years?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...