UKC

NEWS: 2 Billion Pixel Photo of Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Dec 2012
Everest, Lhotse and Nuptse, 4 kb"This gigapixel image of the Khumbu glacier was captured by David Breashears during the spring of 2012, from the Pumori viewpoint near Mount Everest. The Khumbu Icefall is clearly visible here, and one can easily see the hustle and bustle of Everest Base Camp below."

Have a look, zoom in and explore the highest mountain on earth from your desk! We thought it was pretty cool.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67692

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

It is worth zooming in to the base camp area and the hundreds of tents - away from it all - not!

Chris
 3leggeddog 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Why not offer up some prizes:

first to spot someone having a dump

first to spot a female

etc
 3leggeddog 21 Dec 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Where's Wally?
In reply to UKC News: spot the bolt. then a dead body.
 kwoods 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News: If you zoom into base camp to give yourself a human-scale, then move up, the scale of the crags is :o
 jameshiggins 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Sensational! I really wouldn't wish to be a part of that throng at BC.

Jim
 MJ 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Which one is Everest?
 patrick_b 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I love the various teams coming down the icefall. Some of the seracs higher up on the face look seriously precarious, I wouldn't be hanging about where the higher teams are!
 tony 21 Dec 2012
In reply to patrick_b:

The ice fall looks horrendous. It's funny, you read about it and see relatively close-up photos, and you kind of know it's not a nice place, but this pic gives a completely different, and much scarier, perspective.
RobLittle 21 Dec 2012
In reply to kwoods: For a real sense of scale, zoom in to the Lhotse face and find Camp 3 and climbers! The detail in this photo is just brilliant!
 Fredt 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Also there are people on the South Col, and one guy on the North Col.
 McBirdy 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

It's a pleasure, Jack...

B
 Dean177 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:
This helped me figure out what i was looking at
http://www.traveltibetguide.com/images/imgmaps/elevationBig.jpeg
 Jimbo C 21 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome, it gives a real sense of the scale of the mountains. If you zoom right in and scroll slowly it seems like the rock and snow goes on forever. Also gives a sense of how huge basecamp is, I had no idea.
skarabrae 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Jimbo C: reminds me of the cheviots !!
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Amazing amount of tents.
 StuartCJones 22 Dec 2012
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This is awesome. I just did the entire climb, in under an hour. Life goal complete.

I did some pretty gnarly FAs on the North Face too. All named after me. To feature in my new guidebook.

Thanks Photo Nerds!
Clauso 22 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

There are actually 1,999,999,998 pixels in that image. I counted them.

Typical of the shoddiness that I've come to expect of UKC News. Try harder.
 jon 22 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Can someone explain a few things to me please. Higher up Tom says 'made by stitching 400 images'. The blurb says 'during spring 2012' - does that mean over the duration of spring or on one particular day during spring 2012?. How long does it take to take those images? How come the shadows are all correct (assuming they are)? Were they all taken at exactly the same time of day on a number of days? Am I just being clueless about these things?
 StuartCJones 22 Dec 2012
Same time, same day. Stitching done later.
 colina 22 Dec 2012
In reply to jon: yeah ,your just being clueless with these things .its obvious how it was done .
 jon 22 Dec 2012
In reply to colina:

Thank you Colin.
 jon 22 Dec 2012
In reply to StuartCJones:

Yes, I realise the stitching was done later, I was just interested in the physical task of taking so many images. Is it then just a matter of setting the camera up and panning from left to right several times, pressing the shutter every 100m or so?
 stewieatb 22 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Until now I did not realise the extent of land that EBC covers. What the f*ck have we done.
 colina 22 Dec 2012
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to colina)
>
> Thank you Colin.

8-)

I haven't got a clue how it was done either ...bloody good though!

ericinbristol 22 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, amazing.
 ericinbristol 22 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Mind you, if this pic went head to head with the pic of the woman with her top off that's currently photo of the week, I'm not sure which would get most votes from UKCers...
 timlukins 23 Dec 2012
Just to answer a few peoples Q's - this is usually how you go about creating such "gigapans":

http://gigapan.com/

Using this kit:

http://gigapan.com/cms/create-make

And some funky software for performing image rectification and alignment. Nice.
john_s35 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

There's something hovering above western one of the 2 peaks that sit west of the Summit of Everest as the picture looks at it - Would anyone know what sort of bird might be able to live at such high altitude?

Ps. Could be a UFO. Discuss/Flame away.
 Lukeva 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: I got lost at Camp III. Then I zoomed out. Phew
abseil 07 Feb 2013
In reply to john_s35:
> There's something hovering...

I see it. On maximum zoom it looks like a long flat irregular rock, not a bird. But it's big: it's a long way off - seems to be much further away than the tents at base camp - yet nearly as big as them in apparent size. Maybe it's a flaw in the photo or whatever?

lummox 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News: Wow. Base Camp really does look like an enormous shit heap.
 radson 07 Feb 2013
In reply to john_s35:

I think there are a few birds that are comfortable at HA. Google bar headed geese for starters. ALso I believe a solo Japanese climber on the Tibet side of Everest had to abort his summit push as birds ( crow/raven?) had raided his high camp supplies.
 eltankos 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Wayhey, spring 2012, you might see me, albeit being a tourist just trekking to BC, but still. I'll have a good check later.
john_s35 07 Feb 2013
In reply to abseil: Yeah, if you zoom about half way in you can see it already, whereas the people you can see crossing the ladders in the icefall section of the mountain cannot be seen - It's hard to judge the distance of the object to the people but it looks alot bigger!
 Blizzard 07 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Is that a dry glacier, or is there nothing much left of what was a glacier?
To me thats the shocking bit of the pic, a lack of glacier compared to what must have been there 20 or 30 years ago
Removed User 08 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I can see my tent. I'm not in it though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...