Skiing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Ski Length for Touring

kathrync - on 18 Dec 2012
I am in the market for a pair of skis. I mostly ski downhill and spend most of my time on the pistes, although in recent years I have been getting off the pistes more and more as well. Given that I live in Scotland, it would seem rude not to buy something that I can also use for light touring so I guess I am looking for a bit of an all-rounder really.

Up until now I have always rented. Although I am not particularly short, I am very light (only just over 8st) and usually ride something around about the 152cm mark. I've been looking on the Braemar Mountain Sports and Mountain Spirit websites and this seems to be very short for a touring/all mountain ski. Most of them, even the ladies' skis, seem to start at 158 or even 160. I understand that a longer ski will give me more float and stability, but when I have rented something longer than 155 I have always struggled to control my tips. The idea of buying skis that long worries me a bit. Is a ski this long really necessary or can I get away with buying something shorter that is not marketed as an all-mountains ski?

On the same note, does anyone have any opinions on the Scott Luna or Salomon Geisha? These are the skis I have seen that have the width underfoot for getting off the groomed stuff but which come in slightly shorter lengths...
... not showing 21 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums