UKC

NEWS: More Sport England Funding for BMC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Dec 2012
Dave Turnbull of the BMC explains what they are doing for us., 4 kbThe BMC's funding from Sport England looks set to increase over the next four years due to rising participation in climbing and hill walking.

This funding increase will be focused on the 18 to 25 age bracket.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67682

winhill 18 Dec 2012
In reply to UKC News:

The actual funding was announced yesterday but how does this shakeout for the BMC?

£3 million over the next 4 years but how much for climbing and how much for Britain on Foot which is just walking and run by the OIA? Or other walking initiatives?

Netball got £25 million and even 'Movement and Dance' got £1.9 million, so is a slice (how big?) of £3 million a success or a disappointment?
In reply to winhill:

to confirm: the BMC has been awarded just under £3m for the 4 yr period from 31 March 2013-17. This is around double our current Sport England grant and I think we're unique in having been awarded 100% of what we asked for. I'm also told by Sport England that our % increase was the biggest of the 46 sports they fund. Around 25-30% of the grant will go to our partners to the bid i.e. MTE, MTUK, Plas y Brenin, the OIA and the ABCTT (NICAS).

Amongst other things the money will mean the following:

>The appointment of a full-time Hill Walking Officer and two Regional Development Officers (England East & West) in March / April 2013.

>Britain on Foot will get the financial suppoirt it needs for a public launch in 2013.

>The development of NICAS (its bouldering equilivent, NIBAS) will get a major boost.

>£21k per year of small grants for BMC affiliated clubs (for website development, equipment etc).

>More money will go into 'talent development' and competitions.

>The development of Hill Skills courses and the provision of subsidised courses to help people progress from indoor to outdoor climbing.

The total Sport England allocation for 'mountaineering' remains fairly modest compared to other sports but then few other sports have the membership base (around 72000 in the BMC's case) to provide the bulk of the funding that is needed to function.

Cheers

Dave
 Michael Ryan 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Turnbull, BMC:

Well done Dave. Thanks for all the hard work this must have taken.

Mick
 Chris the Tall 18 Dec 2012
Hi Dave

Can you give some idea of what the responsibilities of the 3 new jobs (Hill Walking Officer and two Regional Development Officers) will be ?

Chris

P.S. Don't worry, I won't be applying ...
In reply to Chris the Tall: Give me a call Chris
 Simon 19 Dec 2012

that's great news Dave, all the lobbying, hill walking with the politicians & champagne swigging at number 10 has paid off... very well deserved & well done to all involved in the bidding process...

si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...