100k a week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
darrenmcgowan 06 Dec 2012
i did 60k last week running 10k in the morning and 10k in the evening over 3days in the week. this week i am on track to do 120k over 6days i dont feel fatigued as yet but is this to much of an increase ? my aim is to do between 400k to 500k before the new year. my runs consist of flat/hills/speed treadmill sessions !! any feedback would be great cheers
 dale1968 06 Dec 2012
In reply to darrenmcgowan: not really about fatigue, but skeletal problems occurring, lots of factors involved previous injuries/experience/mileage accrued/ weight/natural running ability/

to go from 60 -120k is a big jump you may get away with it, but its a risk, and once injured your not very fit!

Quality is more important, I rarely did more than twenty mile a week but raced every week if not twice, and did far better than guys doing double that distance
 wbo 06 Dec 2012
In reply to darrenmcgowan: Just doing it as a load of 10k runs is not the optimal method, not mentally the easiest. Personally I'd split it up into a mixture of 8 and 12k runs and either don't run one day a week or at most do only 5 or 6 k's in the morning. On sunday do a longer run.

What are you training for?
In reply to dale1968: thanks i have always run about 40k per week and road bike anything from 30k to 80k. i have stopped the bike to concentrate on the running just to get some miles under my belt. the runs are never max probably keeping to about 80% thinking this would keep the risk of injury down !!
 wbo 06 Dec 2012
In reply to darrenmcgowan: OK. I assume you're going to do some racing then. Where do you live approximately - I would always suggest joining a club as it gives you access to a lot of good races (x-country), and bit of a seasonal focus
In reply to wbo: yes did that this week 12k run then 8k speed work on treadmill. i am just trying to push myself as i have always run about the same distance. i have plenty of time at the moment as i am not working so i thought i would get out of my comfort zone for a few weeks and see what the body can do!!
 Run_Ross_Run 06 Dec 2012
In reply to darrenmcgowan:
i dont feel fatigued as yet

You might do next week though.

Personally i'd increase the run distance, to build up the endurance, a bit. Say 20% at a time with a couple of weeks between each increase.

Are you training for an event?
In reply to Darren09: hi yes i am doing slate man next may its a triathlon in wales. got a couple of smaller events before in march ?
 jfw 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Darren09:

Depending where you're starting from a commonly applied rule is

Increase overall distance by no more than 5-10% each week

Increase "long run" distanec by no more than 5-10% each week

Alternate hard/ easy work outs

Either alternate hard easy weeks, or Increase distance for 3 weeks, then in the fourth week have a "consolidation" or easy week where you step back a bit in intensity and distance - a bit like this:

55 (up)
60 (up)
57 (consolidate)
63 (up)
69 (up)
76 (up)
70 (consolidate)

Don't do a big increase in speed sessions (high intensity work) at the same time as increasing overall milage.

The massive motivation you get seeing rapid improvements when you up your training - can really entice you to ramp up quickly - but (depending on your running base) it can be easy to pick up niggles/injuries (knee problems, etc)

In reply to jfw: thanks makes sense will take that on board
 Banned User 77 06 Dec 2012
In reply to jfw: I'd be worried about injury..

I've stepped up over the years but step, plateau, add intensity, step, plateau add intensity..

I like to step up 10-15% then hold and give my body time to hurt, 2-3 weeks at least, then add reps/races etc... then get used to that then step..

I think most people can handle 50-60 miles a week, above that things get harder
 jfw 12 Dec 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

was posting (in my mind) in km - but more generic numbers to indicate the principal i was trying to get across.

I've never run 50 miles a week!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...