Montane Resolute Smock for skiing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sharpie530 05 Dec 2012
Hello there,

I am thinking of getting a Montane Resolute Smock. Looking at using it for a skiing trip to the alps in January, as well as winter routes and photography stuff when I'm not expecting to be moving round much.

Anybody got experience of this jacket as a skiing jacket. Slightly concerned it might be too warm. Was planning on wearing over a long sleeved base layer. Also is there anything about it that isn't very practical for skiing.

Tried one on the other day and liked the fit, but can't find many reviews on the jacket.
 Dan_S 05 Dec 2012
In reply to sharpie530:

I've used mine skiing in the past, and it was fine. On the warmer days it was a little toasty, but opening up the vents was fine.

I'm no great skier, and standing around a lot, and being sat on lifts etc. it came into its own for keeping me warm.

OP sharpie530 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Dan_S:

Cheers for the info
In reply to sharpie530:

I've worn the Extreme Smock for skiing when it's been very cold, with a merino base layer underneath (I know it's supposed to be used without, blah blah, but I don't like being blasted by icy spindrift). The side and cross vents allow you to dump heat, and you can open the thing up completely at cafe stops.

The Resolute is more water resistant than the Extreme; that'll make it feel warmer (don't try to have the two product pages open at once, as there's a bug in Montane's website that causes the same details to be shown for two different items; fooled me the other day...). I prefer the idea of the water resistant zips to the zip and velcro flaps of the Extreme; mine's a bit of a PITA, with rough Velcro I keep meaning to change. The WR zips look like less faff, and the whole things looks a bit 'tidier'.

But, generally, I prefer to wear something lighter (shelled micropile or MixMaster), and carry a 60gsm Primaloft overlayer in a little MTB pack.

Depends on how hot you run, and how active you are when skiing, but, in January, I think you'll be fine.
 chris.d.w 05 Dec 2012
In reply to sharpie530:

What size you after? I am selling an as new size medium.
OP sharpie530 05 Dec 2012
In reply to chris.d.w:

Unfortunately the medium was too tight on the chest. Thanks for the offer!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...