Which hike'n'ride binding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 terrarob 03 Dec 2012
Salomon Guardian binding vs Diamir Freeride Pro, pros and cons, your thoughts please?

Particularly if there is anyone out there who has skied both!

barney800 03 Dec 2012
In reply to robric: I'd go for the Freerides as I don't think the Guardians are officially compatible with non-Salomon touring boots, unless they have interchangeable soles. Otherwise the Guardians look really nice, although I haven't skied them yet.
OP terrarob 03 Dec 2012
In reply to barney800: the boot thing isn't an issue as you can use just about about alpine based boot going with either binding. The salomon guardian is identical to the atomic tracker and the scott guardian anyway.

i am really keen to hear how the bindings have been working for people, uphill effort, walking position/glide, down hill power transmission, reliability, etc...
 Aly 03 Dec 2012
In reply to robric:
> (In reply to barney800) the boot thing isn't an issue as you can use just about about alpine based boot going with either binding.

Yes, but that assumes you're using an alpine boot rather than an AT boot. If you have a touring boot which doesn't accomodate an alpine sole unit it may influence your decision as the Guardian doesn't have a sliding AFD (AFAIK). It wasn't clear in the OP whether you were going to be using alpine or touring boots.

I've not skiied either binding I'm afraid, but is there a reason you're not considering the Duke/Baron. I'd prefer to use the Duke over the Freeride as a 'hike&ride' binding.

scrufff 03 Dec 2012
In reply to robric:

Me too, a single ski touring + DH quiver would be pretty neat. Might think about it once people have put a season onto them.
 Oceanic 03 Dec 2012
In reply to robric:

Salomon: 1480gr (too heavy for me). DIN starts at 7 (too high for me). Not sure if Harcheissen are available (this would be an issue for me). Never skied them, so can't say any more.

Fritschi: 1100gr. Have a reputation for being too sloppy (I can't feel this when skiing, maybe because I'm quite light?) Have a reputation for having too much stand height (I like this, maybe because I have stumpy legs?). Flat ramp angle (again, this suits me, because I use heel lifts under my insoles).

The whole 'Hike and Ride' binding thing is interesting. Salomon Guardian's will be marketed under the Look name next year (as well as continuing to be badged up as Salomon / Atomic). My theory is that Salomon are trying to introduce a new 'Hike and Ride' sole standard, which will replace the present DIN standard, and sell well to punters who want to use the boots to walk around the car park and dance on tables in ski boots. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Salomon bring out a range of 'Hike and Ride' bindings which have no 'walk mode' but are still compatible with 'Hike and Ride' boots.
 Oceanic 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Aly:
> (In reply to robric)
> [...]
>
> is there a reason you're not considering the Duke/Baron.

The Baron is lighter and has harcheissen available, which would work for me if I wanted something beefier than my Fritschis.

Got a job rob 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Oceanic: the tour f10 and f12 are lighter again and use the same harcheissen. I have the f12 not skied them yet.
crewman waden 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Got a job rob:
Have a look at MFD alltime plates, you screw on your existing alpine binding, just getting mine sorted so no info on how they ski, but lots of favourable chat from those over the pond (if you're not too fussed about weight)
OP terrarob 04 Dec 2012
In reply to robric: Cheers all...

@ Marker fans - I have also been considering the Baron or F12. Have people skied on these? What are the F12's like on the downhill? How much performance do you actually lose for the weight saving?
 Aly 04 Dec 2012
In reply to robric:
> (In reply to robric) Cheers all...
>
> @ Marker fans - I have also been considering the Baron or F12. Have people skied on these?

The Barons and the Dukes are identical apart from the DIN (although the new Duke is, well, new whilst the Baron stays the same for 2013). I can't tell the difference between the Duke and a DH binding.

Downsides are that when switching between tour and DH mode the system can ice up, and over a few years they seem to develop a little 'play' as the rails wear . I don't know if the new Duke has fixed these. Haven't skiied the F12 but I suspect it's similarly stiff as it uses the same rail principle rather than the Fritschi bar system.
 Morgan Woods 05 Dec 2012
In reply to robric:

You might also want to have a look at the new Tyrolia touring binding:

youtube.com/watch?v=FEZFP1eVoVo&
 Oceanic 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Aly:
> (In reply to robric)
> [...]
>
> The Barons and the Dukes are identical apart from the DIN (although the new Duke is, well, new whilst the Baron stays the same for 2013).

The Duke has more metal bits in the heel, where as the Baron uses more plastic. Consequently the Baron weighs about 150g less per binding.

Also, the new version of the Duke has a wider base plate than the Baron, so consequently the new Duke is not reccomended for skis less than 88mm in width.
 Oceanic 05 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Oceanic) the tour f10 and f12 are lighter again

I didn't suggest the F10 / F12 because of the comments in this blog...

http://alpine-guides-blog.com/

On the plus side, I'm not sure if this year's design changes to the F10 / F12 have solved the problems? Also, I hear that Marker have a good warranty.
 Got a job rob 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Oceanic: The info on this blog is OLD, about 4 years i think. I think marker have changed the plastic and the bushs in the hinge.
 kevin stephens 09 Dec 2012
I'm about to order a pair of White Dot Preachers (see my other thread)and need to select a binding. Min use wil be lift served off piste with possibility of some short skinning later to get to good downhill. (I already have Scott Missions and Diamir Eagles for touring and less fluffy back country).

So I'll probably go for Marker Barons or Marker F10's rather than pure downhill (like Marker Griffons) I'm 66kg and old so don't need super high DIN settings.

The F10's wil save me around 750gm so would seem the obvious choice but I'd rather go for the Barons if they wil last longer.

Any advice please before I order?

Thanks
 Got a job rob 09 Dec 2012
In reply to kevin stephens:I think you have answered your own question; do you want light weight or more durability?

How likley are you to start jumping off cliffs or speeding down very steep lines? If you dont want high Din, why bother with the Barons.
In reply to kevin stephens:

Just been out on my new skis fitted with F12s. I couldn't tell the difference between them and normal alpine bindings (I am also quite light - 65kg).

I also own a pair of scott aztecs which I have skied with both alpine and fritschi freeride bindings - massive difference, you can feel the flex in the fritschis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...