Campfour.co.uk - help please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RickGrundy 30 Nov 2012
Hi,

I (my girlfriend) ordered a jacket (for me) from Campfour over a week ago and nothings been delivered although the money has been taken for the payment.
The websites now offline and apparently the shop has just closed down. Anybody know what's happened to the shop or knows the owners? Or is the owner a climber and on here?
All the reviews for the shop seem really good so I'm confident it's not a scam, but would like to hear something from them and obviously get my jacket delivered!

Many thanks, Rick
 Nordie_matt 30 Nov 2012
In reply to RickGrundy:
I've a mate who works there, linked the thread to him, he might at least know what the story is re: closure, although I was in the shop last week and all seemed ok.
 RockAngel 30 Nov 2012
In reply to RickGrundy: i live in macc and heard thru the grapevine that it had gone into receivership. A staff member turned up to work & found the assessors in there who told him he no longer had a job. The bosses couldnt even tell their staff themselves. Not sure about your order. If it was paid with a credit card you might be able to claim your money back.
 crustypunkuk 30 Nov 2012
In reply to RockAngel: If it's true, that's a shame. I've used them a few times and always found them excellent.
To the OP: good luck getting your jacket/money back.
 BoulderyDave 30 Nov 2012
In reply to RickGrundy: Sorry to hear this all round. Rick if you paid by Credit Card or similar call your bank and tell them what has happened. You are covered by their insurance and will get a full refund straight away.

Good luck
 RockAngel 30 Nov 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: i knew that they had a good online presence and shop. I think it started going downhill when they moved to a bigger shop premises. heard that the owner was struggling to pay his mortgage, was taking deliveries for the shop and not paying for them, using any money to pay for the house and for holidays, and not putting it back into the business. Its a shame, because they were good when they were a small shop, and competitive with the market but when they moved to the bigger shop, prices went up and fewer sales as people went to buy the same stuff elsewhere at lower prices.
 abr1966 30 Nov 2012
In reply to RockAngel: If i remember accurately im sure it closed or went bust years ago....then reopened where it is now. It was on chestergate wasn't it initially?

To the OP im going in to macc tomorrow, I'll have a look if there are any notifications on the door etc...
OP RickGrundy 01 Dec 2012
In reply to abr1966:

Thanks for the replies, and appreciate anyone local looking into it. Not sounding very promising though. Unfortunately my girlfriend paid for it on debit card but we'll go to the bank to see what they can do.
Hopefully they can sort it out, but if not- surely this is illegal and there's some consumer rights system or something to protect against this? Any legal wads on here?

Cheers, Rick
In reply to RickGrundy:

Hi rick, i actually worked there as casual staff, unfortunately camp four closed due to various reasons, but even I only found out the on the morning of work and haven't herd anything since. I suggest contacting your bank and follow procedure to claim your money back.

cheers
Dan
 Skyfall 01 Dec 2012
In reply to RickGrundy:

No it's not illegal for businesses to go bust, it happens - and if you've paid but not had a delivery you can lose your money. Anyone who has had dealings with the company (for example their suppliers) could lose money. Sometimes the administrator will try to run the business to get best value for creditors and to try to sell it on and you might get your order delivered. However, most times you won't unfortunately. Debit cards offer no protection so far as I am a aware - it's the equivalent of a cash payment. Hence why you should also pay with credit card if on the internet or ordering in advance as you do have some protection and will often get all your money back.
 cliff shasby 01 Dec 2012
In reply to RickGrundy: on the plus side the receivers might put a load of cheap gear on fleabay....
 Enty 01 Dec 2012
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to RickGrundy)
>
> No it's not illegal for businesses to go bust, it happens - and if you've paid but not had a delivery you can lose your money.

But the OP said his girlfriend ordered the jacket only a week ago Did the company know they were going under and still took the money? That's the question.

E
 Skyfall 01 Dec 2012
In reply to Enty:

I'm not sure it makes any difference provided there was no intention to defraud. Businesses often go under very quickly due to cash-flow issues, even though they have up to that point genuinely been trying to trade their way out of difficulty. However, I'm no expert on the legalities and I'm sure the OP is right to be trying to find out if he (or his g/f) can claim the money back. However, I don't think the bank has any obligation to do so (as opposed to the position with a credit card) and I suspect it would need to be some form of legal claim against the company/receiver eg. having priority as a creditor. You do sometimes see orders honoured but I think that tends to be more for PR reasons (eg, if they think the business can be rescued) rather than any legal obligation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...