recommend me a wimmins running jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fxceltic 27 Nov 2012
as per the title I am looking at getting my better half a waterproof type running jacket for Xmas

While I have the usual knowledge and experience of outdoor climbing type jackets, I have zero knowledge of running gear, but would assume that a hardshell would be less than ideal due to increased breathability requirement when running.

So what do runners normally get for wet weather type jackets? Is it softshell only?

any (relevant, useful) advice appreciated.
Removed User 28 Nov 2012
In reply to fxceltic:
I'm on the market for a lighweight jacket as well,looking at Rab Cirrus Wind Top, montane featherlite, marmots lighweight shells, outdoor research helium
hope it helps
seb
 andy 28 Nov 2012
In reply to fxceltic: if you reeeely love her, haglofs. If you don't, it probably won't work properly.
 gear boy 29 Nov 2012
In reply to fxceltic: your thinking is right

Most of the time a Pertex wind top is all you need unless it is foul outside, then some people do like using light waterproofs

for windproof, Pertex type options, Ron Hill, Rab, Montane and others, problem is with this type of jacket is you need to know what you are looking at, many of the mainstream run jackets are "microfibre" and not windproof or that water resistant, and they charge the price of the ones above. look for a jacket with no lining to it and has a slight shine on the inside of the fabric, this means its is "calendered" and will give better weather protection, wear long sleeve base layer underneath for comfort

for waterproof, same Ron, Rab, Montane, Marmot all have jackets at around £140 quid that are light and as breathable as it gets for the money

HTH
fxceltic 29 Nov 2012
In reply to gear boy: thanks all, I ended up going for a ron hill, this one

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/RON684/ronhill-lady-vizion-rip-stop-runn...

I figured its a classic trustable brand and it would be hard to go wrong. They had various very similar sounding selections but thought the ability to turn this one into a running gilet would be an advantage in improving conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...