Paramo MRT smock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 1906johns 19 Nov 2012
I was on the crag the other day and saw mountain rescue cutting about in their wagon, got me thinking what is the red paramo smock they get ? Can you buy them, without all the MRT badges on i mean ?

cheers
 rusty8850 19 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns: Probably the aspira smock. Available to all. Got one myself and despite not being the trendiest of kit it really works and when I know I'm gonna be in the rain all day that's what I'll wear.
m0unt41n 19 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns: Current one is an Aspira Pro, slightly heavier than the normal Aspira, you can only buy if a "Mountain Professional" or in MR. The previous one, which was Black & Red, was I think better since the current one quickly gets marked and grubby on cuffs and shoulders, which the older one didnt because it was black there. Also the old one had much wider reflective tape, you look a bit like a walking skeleton at night, but at least you are obvious. A lot of teams now getting the Mountain Equipment MRT jacket instead of Paramo. Personally I prefer the Paramo as more comfortable, but its very heavy, nearly twice the weight of the Mountain Equipment.
 Welsh Kate 19 Nov 2012
In reply to m0unt41n:
Yeah, the Paramo is a bit on the heavy and warm side, but way better for when you snag yourself on the damned barbed wire and end up with a small hole and a waterproofing system that still works rather than a rip in your gtx!
OP 1906johns 20 Nov 2012
In reply to 1906johns: cheers for your help guys. most useful.
 Dan_S 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Welsh Kate:
> (In reply to m0unt41n)
> ...Paramo .... a waterproofing system that still works...

From my experience, and that of a number of other people I know, I don't think many would consider Paramo to actually be waterproof. If I was being generous, I'd describe it as a pretty water resistant softshell.

If you don't mind being warm and wet, that it's OK, but for a typical British summer, accepting the limitations on "breathability" of a membrane waterproof will probably help keep you dryer.
 jonnie3430 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Dan_S:
> (In reply to Welsh Kate)
> [...]
>
> From my experience, and that of a number of other people I know, I don't think many would consider Paramo to actually be waterproof. If I was being generous, I'd describe it as a pretty water resistant softshell.
>
Just to balance your comment; from my experience of owning and using a Paramo Aspira smock and a Quito jacket, it is the best waterproof available. I have put the smock on over a wet fleece and it has dried the fleece out in 30 mins while it was still raining. The Quito is a light weight alternative that is just as waterproof and breathable but not so warm or heavy and has the best pockets I've seen in a jacket.
 Gazlynn 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Dan_S

Again just to re-balance

Yes my Aspira smock is heavy but it's as waterproof as any other gortex, hn2o jacket that I own. For winter with a layering system that suits you I really don't think it can be beaten. Plus their after sales department is fantastic with a proper lifetime warranty. Just my view tho.

Cheers

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...