Trekking Companions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 19 Nov 2012
I know that going on a company organised trek can be a bit problematic in that you are likely to find yourself in a group unknown to you and you might not get on with some(or worse - all) of them.

When I did EBC we met at the hotel in Kathmandu and we seemed to strike a rapport from the word go and we spent plenty of time laughing and joking together and "looking out" for each other.

Now I know I can be a curmudgeonly old b*****d at time but I do pride myself in at least trying to make allowances for others and being tolerant. However, this time round my efforts did not seem to be reciprocated by about four others. At times I actually felt excluded. One chap liked the sound of his own voice and thought he knew all there was to know about everything and seemed intent on arguing the toss and point scoring. The wife of one couple reminded me of Norah Batty. At Tatopani I happened to mention that I'd found the hot spring refreshing. Snappily she said "What was refreshing?" A fourth chap took it upon himself to tell me at one point how to pace myself.

I always try to tolerate others and "take the rough with the smooth". At no time was I aware of doing or saying anything unfriendly towards them.

Anyone else had similar problems on a group trek? How did you deal with it?
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 19 Nov 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

Walk ahead of people.or behind. I go for the former usually

Listen to Music

Don't invite anyone into conversation. I am pretty good at being happy with my own thoughts.

Go on your own?

paul walters 20 Nov 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I killed them and buried them in the snow.
 d_b 20 Nov 2012
In reply to paul walters:

Rations for the next trek?
In reply to mypyrex: I dealt with it by striking up a sexual relationship with the girl who kept looking at me and wanting to chat. I figured if I was going to have to listen to her crap all the way then I might as well be getting some action.
m0unt41n 20 Nov 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
How many were in the group?

There can be a problem with a small group since any clash of personalities will keep getting provoked. But with large groups people tend to separate out and avoid conflicts.

You say that this time your efforts did not seem to be reciprocated by four others - which suggests that you were expecting the whole group to respond to your company.

May be somewhat optimistic that. It seems to have been quite an issue for you, given your post, and the very minor issues you mentioned.

The answer of course is to relax more and worry less about what anyone thinks - on expeditions it is a lot more claustrophobic so you have to be even more tolerant.

Dont let it put you off Treks, just put it behind you.

Puppythedog 20 Nov 2012
In reply to mypyrex: Alcohol and festering resentment. That was a tour in india though not a trekking tour.
almost sane 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:
> (In reply to mypyrex) I dealt with it by striking up a sexual relationship with the girl who kept looking at me and wanting to chat. I figured if I was going to have to listen to her crap all the way then I might as well be getting some action.

...which is a warning to those who think they have found "true love" on expedition
 rupes4india 21 Nov 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I like the burying bit! Send them to Coventry or start a rumour about those who over-work their jaws.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...