Skiing+learning french - where to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
carryonp 25 Sep 2012
Hi!
I've got the lucky break of a couple of months off before starting a new job early next year, and having always wanted to learn french, feel now is a good time and would love to combine it with skiing. Somewhere with good terrain and lots of backcountry options - most of my skiing has been in new zealand. Only consideration is that I'd be looking to get a small earning job just to get by.. but it doesn't have to be in a mega resorts. Any suggestions where a good place to go would be? Thanks for the ideas!
Phil
 Doug 26 Sep 2012
In reply to carryonp: Telemark Pyrenees usually take on some seasonal staff
see http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/info/jobopportunities?osCsid=4f33219ec3...
 Trangia 26 Sep 2012
In reply to carryonp:

Eastern Canada - all the back country skiing you could ask for in a French speaking country.
 HeatherF 26 Sep 2012
In reply to carryonp:
Chamonix? Learn with Insted?
 Carolyn 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Doug:

French Pyrenees were going to be my suggestion, too - far more likely to end up speaking French than in most of the Alps...
 Stairclimber 26 Sep 2012
In reply to carryonp: Consider Serre Chevalier, in the southern alps and have a look at our website www.walkortalk.webs.com
We've been living here for 4 complete winters and each year find the skiing both on and off piste, day and hut touring just gets better and better. Get in touch if you want specific info.
 French Erick 26 Sep 2012
In reply to carryonp:
Avoid cham like the plague... brits can live there for years and not know a word of French!
Pyrennees would be a far better option... and if the snow conditions are pants you can go surfing in less than 2 hours drive away plus if your French is not getting better you can go to Lourdes and pray for a miracle! Win all round!
carryonp 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Doug:

thanks doug, that's a great suggestion! Sorry I didn't think my message was posted so just seen your reply! Have you been to Ax les thermes, whats the skiing like? is it fairly steep like the alpes or easier? I'm keen for the steep , mos tof y skiing has been in NZ. Thanks
carryonp 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Stairclimber:

thanks stairclimber. I've been to Briancon in the summer and its fantastic; kayaking and climbing in ecrins. I like the service you provide but looking to practise my french through a job or otherwise. thanks!
carryonp 20 Nov 2012
In reply to French Erick:

haha! so where in the pyrenees should i start looking!? must say I hadn't considered it because i like the steep terrain and thought the pyrenees as not having this -I might have been totally ignorant! sorry for the slow reply as well, see above! thanks
hokipoki 28 Nov 2012
In reply to carryonp: Are you still looking at learning french and ski carryonp? As I am as well! I sent an email to the people in Serre Chevalier, but would you like to share costs and all that?
carryonp 04 Dec 2012
In reply to hokipoki:
Hey hokipoki, I'm heading to chamonix or morzine, resigned to the easy options! Have fun though, looked good! P
hokipoki 05 Dec 2012
In reply to carryonp: Ah ok! Going with Insted? I think I'm heading out to Cham early(ish) January if you want to have a charge around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...