NEWS: Proposed Vehicle Ban on Peak Green Lanes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 21 Sep 2012
Trail bikes negotiate Chapel Gate track, 4 kbThe public is being asked its views on whether trail-bikes, quad bikes and 4x4s should be permanently banned from two green lanes in the Peak District National Park

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67451
 g taylor 21 Sep 2012
In reply to UKH News: Not particularly neutral reporting!
In reply to UKH News: Sick of people interfering with other people's pleasure. Just because YOU don't drive off road or don't ride MTB's doesn't give you the right to deny others the activity. What ever happened to liberty and freedom in this country? They are LEGAL rights of way and we should endeavour to keep them so. The same nonsense applies to noise limits at racing circuits - why should people have to face circuit closures due to "nimby" groups?

The safety brigade will one day hit on climbers "putting themselves in danger" causing MRT's and hospitals more work, so let's ban climbing completely.

Think hard before supporting these moves.
 pebbles 21 Sep 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: If you read the article its NOT about MTBs, its specifically about MOTORISED vehicles. The trail bikes they are referring to are not cycles, they are motorcycles. Personally I agree with banning traffic on the Long Causeway and other similar trails, it causes extremely heavy erosion (far heavier than that caused by walkers, mountain bikes or horses), and spoils their use for other people
In reply to g taylor: Really? Just reporting what the National Park are saying; I've put no spin on it as far as I can see.
 oddtoast 21 Sep 2012
In reply to UKH News:
I think it might be the caption on Simon C's photo used at the top of the article that makes it seem not quite neutral!
In reply to oddtoast: Ah, good spot. That's Simon's own caption and nothing to do with this news piece but I'll change it for the article.
 Iain Smith 21 Sep 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

Dang right Uncle Sam etc..! Why should those wishy washy liberal good for nothings ruin our pleasure of ruining the countryside. The only way forward here is.......napalm!. Why? i) it clears vegation (fast) allowing unlimited sloughing of 4x4 'Freedom' vehicles in trenches of our own making, and ii) singes the b*m's of cheese eating surrender monkey's who may get in our way. How can they defend such a liberty crushing proposal to protect an historical pack horse track from total destruction - this is the 21st century - horses are history. God gave us the internal combustion engine and we're gonna use it as HE described in the scriptures. This is a zero sum game - it's them or us! With God on our side we will prevail.
 pebbles 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: hee hee, not like simon to be controversial ;-D
 sdavies141 21 Sep 2012
In reply to UKH News: I have met a number of moto cyclists over my many years hiking mountain biking and climbing in the peak, generally they are OK, and are often gone quickly enough to not bother me.

4x4's are a bit of different story as they really are extremly damaging to tracks they drive on, and block the whole road off when your trying to ride / walk down it. I have found they are often going at a really slow pace as it is quite technical terrain for them.

However I think it is a real shame they banned motorised water sports in the lakes, as this was a great natural place for it so I am on the fence about banning motor bikes on green lanes in the peak.

If they do get acess then I think they should contibute to the up-keep of tracks and trails (many state this is what vehicle excise duty is for) but the relative cost of maintaining acient cobbled roads is probably far higher than laying some tarmac down over a pot hole!

Any motor bikers out there with a view?
 Jimbo C 21 Sep 2012
In reply to UKH News:

The thing is, these tracks are legally classified as roads. The only difference being that they are not metalled, which is also the reason that 4x4 and trial bike owners enjoy using them. the lack of a durable surface also leads to fast erosion. An over-simplistic choice would be a) re-designate as bridle-ways or b) lay a durable surface on these roads.

There is of course conflict with the other road users, covering issues of inconvenience, noise pollution and safety (and others).

If a risk assessment was carried out for say, allowing motor vehicles to use a busy bridelway, I wonder what control measures would arise?
 Iain Smith 21 Sep 2012
In reply to pebbles: Controversy! What controversy?
 pebbles 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Iain Smith: nope, youre right, the caption seems fair enough to me!
 Toccata 21 Sep 2012
In reply to UKH News:

If they are legal rights of way they should remain so. I'd gladly see all motorised transport banned from green lanes but as others have alluded to, never forget Niemoller's maxim. A declassification to bridleway would not be acceptable either.

As an aside, banning motorbikes from green lanes in Yorkshire seems to have done little to stop them (and that is aside from the ongoing damage to bridleways such as Ribblehead to Dent).
J1234 24 Sep 2012
In reply to UKH News:
I would imagine if you re jigged the article to support a ban of climbing on Stanage to help the bird population, it would play well with the birdwatching fraternity, which has massivley more money and political clout than the climbing lobby.
Be very careful about taking away other peoples freedoms, as they might be coming for your freedoms next.
Cheers sjc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...