Nevis summit, descent south into Steall area possible?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 11 Jul 2012
Hey, just looking for some advice on getting off the Ben down into Glen Nevis around the Steall Falls area.

My plan for a walk was to park at the end of the road in Glen Nevis, walk along to Steall Ruins and up Coire Giubhsachan to the col between Carn Mor Dearg, over into the next coire, up the east ridge of Carn Dearg Meadhonach (which I hear is a nice scramble), and along the CMD arete to Nevis summit. But, I'd like to get back to the car without going down the pony track and slogging back up the Glen Nevis road. I seem to remember reading that the south facing aspect of the Ben can be pretty treacherous, but can anyone recommend a safe-ish way down from the summit to the Steall Falls area?

If there's not any decent way, maybe I'm best descending the east ridge of Carn Mor Dearg and incorporating Aonach Mor and Beag somehow?

Thanks for any advice.
 Cuthbert 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Yes it is possible and pretty easy. You can descend to Coire Giubhsachan via the SE ridge of the Ben which is just grass.

A great way to go up is direct from Poll Dubh via the crags then straight up the hill. i really enjoyed it. A few pics here: http://www.albacampervans.com/index.php/en/blog/ben-nevis-by-campervan-loch...
OP Taurig 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:

Excellent, just what I was looking for, thank you very much! Looks like an interesting way you found up the hill as well, always good to get off the beaten path.
 Flinticus 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:
Is that heading in the direction of Meall Cumhann?

Geograph has a photo showing an extensive boulder field on the upper part of the SE slope? I might be interested in this route myself.
 JLS 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Descending direct to the car park via allt coire eoghainn has a bad reputation. That said however I've done it twice without distress. It starts by crossing a steep boulder field before picking up a path leading down to the east bank of the stream/water fall. I found it all fine but signs at the bottom warn tourists about the danger of slipping on steep wet rock. It isn't ground you can move that quick on as was proven by someone we met at the summit who descended the pony track and managed to hitch up to steal carpark in much the same time.
 kwoods 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Taurig: I came down via Allt Coire Eoghainn last year. Hard work though very possible. Out the mouth of the coire there are some steep slabs but there's a little path running through. The path completely disappeared at the bottom so fought through bracken right back to the road.

I think going to down to Bealach Cumhann and down to the road-head would be a good way.
OP Taurig 12 Jul 2012
In reply to kwoods:
>
> I think going to down to Bealach Cumhann and down to the road-head would be a good way.

Yeah that would cut out a decent chunk of the return journey. I'll keep an eye on that bit of hillside on the way in, but I think Steall Falls will be quite impressive after all this rain so I fancy sticking to the path on the way there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...