Snowshoeing Destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Noangel72 22 Nov 2011
Hi,

I am looking for a destination where I could spend a week snowshoeing at the end of December.

Italy, Latvia, Sweden, anywhere where there is a lot of snow, Alpine or pre-Alpine areas.....any good ideas?

Thanks.
ice.solo 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72:

how far you prepared to go for it?
 TobyA 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72:
> Latvia... anywhere where there is a lot of snow, Alpine or pre-Alpine areas

You are going to be pretty disappointed in Latvia if you want any type of hills!

With a bit more info I could maybe give some suggestions. Day walks? Camping? Staying in huts? Staying in a vibrant, cultural city but with snowshoe walks during the day?

Also would you like to ski as well as snowshoe? Snowshoeing is OK but I tend to think of it as a way to get somewhere when its snowy rather than a thing in itself.
 pcummins60 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72:

I went snowshoeing For à week in the Pyrinees, Bagneres de Luchon area, went With à company called Let Loose With Adventure, had à great time. We went late in the season but there was lots of snow, and it was beautiful there. LLWA have à website, the photos may inspire you. Around Bagneres is lots of camping/ accomodation, Skiing and some climbing. Nearest airport is Toulouse, Sleazyjet fly there.

Paul
 Dee 24 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72: Have a look at Snowshoe Magazine http://www.snowshoemag.com/

Alternatively, if you're interested in snowshoeing in Switzerland, a good source of information would be http://swissmountainleader.com/

He offers accommodation and snowshoe guiding in Leysin and other areas, he is a good source of information about Swiss conditions.

Hope this helps.
 Trangia 24 Nov 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Noangel72)
> [...]
>
> >
> Also would you like to ski as well as snowshoe? Snowshoeing is OK but I tend to think of it as a way to get somewhere when its snowy rather than a thing in itself.

I tend to agree. Cross country skiing is a lot easier, more fun and you will cover a lot more ground
 john arran 24 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72:

Snowshoeing is very popular here in Ariège (Pyrenees), and after early-mid December there should be plenty of snow cover to keep you happy. I've even been out exploring on snowshoes right from the house but that isn't possible on many occasions during the winter - usually you'll be better off driving 10-30 minutes in different directions to find different starting points at higher altitude. We even have dedicated snowshoeing guidebooks to the trails around here, which guests find very useful.

Having said that I'm sure there are a zillion places you could pick, depending on other criteria such as accessibility, amenities, variety, etc. At that time of year you would most likely be able to reach the summits of the highest nearby peaks - maybe 2000-3000m without running into crevasses, dangerously low temperatures or major acclimatisation problems, which would be another consideration if you're also considering venturing to higher ranges.
Rolfe Oostra - 360 Expeditions 24 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72:
Hello! Also vote for the Pyrenees. Luchon area well set up for some great single or multi day snow-shoeing trips. No snow at the moment but forecast looks promising for late dec/early jan.
Give me a call for logistical details and trip advice.
Cheers, Rolfe
 wildeybeast 24 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72:

http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/winter_snowshoeing.html

The best scenery you can imagine!!
 Dee 25 Nov 2011
In reply to wildeybeast: Well worth pointing out the following detail for anyone expecting a service which uses qualified and regulated IFMGA guides and UIMLA IMLs, where such professionals hold appropriate insurance and seek to deliver the expected duty of care to a client in the mountains.

From Colletts's website:-
'At your own risk...
Please note that you join our Organised Activities and make use of our ideas & information at your own risk. It is important that you understand that whilst our Activity Organisers have substantial local knowledge and are familiar with the routes which our activities follow, they are not qualified mountain guides.'

I understand that Italian law dictates the provision of mountain services under stringent regulations using qualified professionals such as IFMGA and UIMLA IMLs.
Lyuben 25 Nov 2011
Another idea for hiking destination in Europe - Bulgaria:
http://mountain-guide-bulgaria.com/?page_id=1052

By the way, just found this useful article - How to kill yourself snowshoeing:
http://blog.oplopanax.ca/2010/10/how-to-kill-yourself-snowshoeing/
Lindsay Cannon 26 Nov 2011
In reply to Noangel72: Hi, normally at the end of December there is plenty of snow in Chamonix valley in France. There are some great hikes around the valley and further afield ie about an hour's drive with good summits like Mont de l'Arpille in Switzerland, and Tete de la Sallaz, near Romme. Geneva airport is only 1.15 hrs from Chamonix so easy to get there. Good luck in your quest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...