UKC

NEWS: Kendal Mountain Festival Winners 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Nov 2011
KMF 2011 - Best Mountain Adventure - Vertical Sailing, 4 kb This weekend's Kendal Mountain Festival (KMF) was a roaring success. There was beer drinking, dancing, pizza eating and even some films and things...

At the end of the festival is the award ceremony, where the highlights of the weekend are rewarded with prizes in their respective categories...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=65099

simondgee 21 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:
A totally and utterly brilliant 4 days...the best yet...lots of nice little touches by the organisers, film makers and trade stands ... a complete indulgence...diaryed it for next year already.
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2011
In reply to simondgee:

Moff and I had a great time but it was far from the best yet. Probably the worst ever set of climbing & mountaineering films with some real stinkers: The Sphynx being an all time individual nadir ...Moff can't tell as she had a snooze... Elements not far behind; too many overlong overproduced films in general. On the shopping front no climbing hardware (!!!) very few DVDs (!!), fewer clothing bargains (especially for men). Party seemed to be the least lively ever (certainly early on). The festival is still 'crying out' for some fringe events or stuff for people to see on low budgets.

On the postive front: speakers were as good as ever; the best films were still really good (and we are yet to watch The Ditch, Cold and The Long Hope); the bar scene was as good as ever and helped by mild dry weather. On the SNAFU front: the festival still can't look after foreign guest speakers properly (Belgians this time with no food arranged) ...nor sort it's timing out (which is pretty key given some of the distances you have to travel between current venues).
 jonnie3430 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to simondgee)
>
> The festival is still 'crying out' for some fringe events or stuff for people to see on low budgets.
>
Like students and climbers? They seem to sell all tickets, so why offer something cheaper that will mean less buy the expensive tickets if they can still pack it out?
 Offwidth 21 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:

If it keeps its trajectory as an increasingly expensive festival for older middle class people its spirit will wither. Somehow they need to find stuff for a younger keen audience with lower budgets. If that means bigger discounts that result in old(ish) farts like me booking earlier then so be it.

They also don't always "pack it out". A good example was the John Horscroft quiz with Grimer and Lucy, reputably good but half empty so they should have charged less. On Friday morning, Lucky Dip (one the best film sets) had 8 people.
 Tom Last 21 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Woohoo! First time I've ever won anything

Alan: The photo is on the Ballachulish Horseshoe, rather than Cairngorm.

Cheers,
Tom
 jonnie3430 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to jonnie3430)
>
> If it keeps its trajectory as an increasingly expensive festival for older middle class people

I'd say it has achieved that already and would rather it was for my climber/student group but as I said, it fills the seats and doesn't have more to sell. (At the weekend, I think it too hard to fill much during a weekday. )

I could say start another cheaper one, but they exist already (fort william etc..) though that is in fort william in winter so there is other stuff to do...
In reply to Southern Man:
> Alan: The photo is on the Ballachulish Horseshoe, rather than Cairngorm.

Sorry about that, now corrected. Refresh to see.

Alan

Tom Last 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

No problem Alan, cheers
 simondgee 21 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430 and Offwidth
I'm pretty sure 'achieved'it isn't the term you intended? That suggests thats what they have aimed to do?
...most students can afford to drink for week after week...but not put something aside if they really want to do something?
...the cost of about 8 AV resourced venues (with staff) throughout Kendal running for 4 days that allows anybody to create there own programme of films on a drop in basis and then go to specific lecture events has a significant cost I'm sure. The whole set up is a Community Interest Company, not there run as a private venture to make money for any shareholders directors like other events, it is there to provide the greatest choice to most number of people. It is subsidised so it could be even more expensive to attend.
For the cost of 1.5 DVDS, you can if you wish watch back to back over 70 films... in the order you want (more or less) in the 13 themed film groups repeating 6 times through the festival between 9.30 and 11.00 at night. That is way better value than something like Reel to Rock.

In reply to Offwidth:

I suppose it all depends on perspective...
I had a film in there this year, my first, it took 800 hours of work, done in 6 weeks on a budget of £65 a week. I pay £25 to enter, in fact my friend did because I couldn't afford to. At times I have skipped meals for 1-2 days to afford to continue it. It was supposed to have been a short but to do justice to what unfurled in front of me as I started making it took it to 25 minutes. Technically its inept but the narrative and content is worth its weight, some of the content should be in the climbing community rather than filed in some BBC archive.
So it gets accepted for screening and its all exciting and then you turn up to present your film at the 1st of the screenings (you get asked to do it which, i think is a good idea) and you suddenly think...f**kit i'm taking this home i dont know if i want all these people who i dont know to pour scorn on it. Making a film is a very personal, emotional and stressful journey...mine was trying to be true to the climbing grandfathers, fathers and husbands of surviving relatives. You cant afford to get it wrong. Some people reading this will empathise with it some will think thats a load of bollocks ...to find out it might be worth trying. Its worth it... I have never had so much fun out of climbing in 30 years.

I didn't get to see many films as I was also an Andy Perkins volunteer munchkin for the first time also introducing other films but its strange that because something doesn't suit your taste it must be crap?...my favourites were 'I believe i can fly' and 'feel the hill'. My mate thought 'feel the hill' was the worst film in the festival. Personally, I avoid long films without good reviews as they are usually made to satisfy sponsors or egos.

At the end of the day I think you get out of the festival what you put in...just like life I guess.

As for Climbing Hardware and DVD's
I'm pretty sure the vendors with trade stands know what sells...I suspect you are a minority shopper in that respect?
 Bella 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth: Most of the climbing and mountaineering films I saw were really good - but I agree that Elements was uninteresting. Cold was brilliant, Islands was really good too, and Vertical Sailing was awesome. Crossing the Ditch was amazing too (ok, not a climbing film).

Men's Marmot clothing was 50% off, so was Hagloffs and a couple of other brands - I don't think the retailers are likely to sell it for more discount than that?
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Southern Man:

Well done that man. Apologies for the caption error - lack of sleep.......
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2011
In reply to simondgee:

Your film was really enjoyable, one of the minor highlights for me... make more. Just watched The Long Hope this evening and that adds some plus points to the Climbing programme (we missed it at the festival as it was pre-premier). The UK film-makers and their subjects always add plenty to the festival spirit beyond their films.

Long films and the reality of the Kendal weekend now, with a film pass. If you try and hop about between programmes, often you simply can't get in as its so busy; so choosing a session and staying put is normally the best tactic. A toilet visit and a peek next door would work OK in previous years but now the Brewery can't aford to give the festival both Screen One and Two and loose the big name Xmas films (Child Wizards last year, Vampire snogging this). Switching around opportunities reduced, its a big downer if you get a Sphynx or an Elements and the selection committee should insist (if in any doubt) such films do a festival cut (or not be included); the big UK films do festival cuts afterall. You can do nothing much about opinions but who cares much if a film you don't enjoy is 5-20 minutes long (your mate is wrong btw . 70 minutes of direness though is akin to climbing mank to get to a good short pitch.

We were at the Facelift in Yosemite this late summer. It's a very different beast but a breath of fresh air compared to Kendal. The event was completely free, the coffee free, the nibbles free, the beer subsidised, the events stacked full of characters. Most people viewing the Facelift evening shows did voluntary work but not all. There was genuine humility from the organisers. There were no posh people searching for half price jackets you could buy on the internet for much the same price, before shooting off to try and get a glimpse of Chris Bonnington. I know how much Kendal pay some of the people performing (I know a few) and I know how much auditoriums cost. Lots of people volunteer to help for close to free: to get up at 9:00am to introduce films and talks with wit despite a the hangover is good karma. However, I simply don't believe the accounts are such they couldn't discount more or do something clever to help poorer keen folk whether they be students, pensioners, children, unemployed or whatever. I also would love it if they could free up some fringe space - BMC/Apine Club lectures (they used to be a cheap main stage event, then last year free in a corner in Kendal College and where did they go this year?) the new filmmakers slots, or even more left-field, independant events like The Owl and the Cragrat - all being stuff many enjoyed cheaply over the years and help the future Chris Bonningtons and Alister Lees get started; lets see a bit more please. Most of us who can afford the festival could pay a little bit more worst case. The brewery also isn't suffering with all those beer sales at £3.50 a pint with queues to beyond 2 in the morning.

Maybe your point about what sells also helps make my point. If you can't sell DVDs and discount climbing gear at such a festival what does that say about it? There were good points: if you had size 8 feet (mens) or 4/5 (womens) you could buy shoes for life; there were other good deals. There were many worthy stalls with nice people to chat to and encourage. For those running short on cash there was Bowmore and the delightfully innattentive Bowmore staff and Clif bar snacking until you burst.

Back to the start now: we really enjoyed the festival and much of that is about the people we know and those we first met there. Its already very good but not the best: room for improvement is there.
Knitting Norah 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I think the festival is good value if you want to watch lots of films, which I do. I find that I get to see and learn about people and places I will never be able to go to and I get to experience the thrill of activities that I can only dream of ever doing.
Having a son that has been involved in filming, editing and doing graphics and animations each year for quite a few years now I also get to experience the excitement of waiting to see if they have won anything. The first year they were highly commended and each year since have won prizes.
But as said above I am also very aware of the hours of work that soon add up to weeks and months. Now he is earning his living with his editing, animations and graphics work and Kendal has been a very great part of getting him to this stage. From a short film done for fun that someone suggested he should enter, a whole career has developed. Which is also about to involve lecturing at university.
All I can say is well done KMFF, you may not be perfect but you do a great job.
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Knitting Norah:

Think of the opportunities lost in the schedule for the likes of your son as a new starter (or as a established young filmmaker involved in a 15 minute tightly edited version of a longer DVD) by the two hours of film time this year given to Sphinx and Elements that should have been one hour at the very most. Family friendly is always better than you think for all tho delightful shorts. The adventure film academy usually craft essays in the distilled plot that some of the big budget monsters would do well to ponder.

Some more good points I forgot in my posts above were KMF for schools (three cheers for that) and the continuing Boardman Tasker link and book festival; the Visual arts support and photo comp. Also the film training where I wondered how well "The Pitch" worked.

The festival is impressive and has developed many good filmmakers but I still think we need to keep prodding them to stop complacency.
 shantaram 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:I also enjoyed the festival a lot as usual, but agree with Offwidth that definitely not the best yet. The film programme felt really 'padded out' with fillers. What's with all the Human Planet stuff? Most folk will have already seen that on TV. There were also some true stinkers, like Sphinx, which was a waste of 70 mins of my life, and a lot of over long films, Elements and Find, that could have benefitted from an edit. Amongst it all were some real gems though, Longhope, Sketchy Andy, Race for the Nose being my personal highlights. Not sure if I'm alone in this, but I'd like a return to the format of each film programme being a mix of genres - climbing, mountaineering, exploration, bike, ski etc instead of a block of climbing, mountaineering etc which I find a bit much.

Anyway, always an enjoyable event, both socially and inspirationally from the films/lectures. Loved the pub quiz on Friday night. That should be a regular feature. I'm sure I'll be back again next year.....
 scott titt 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
My first Kendal, I was really impressed. I was warned about the Sphinx and Elements and managed to avoid them by some judicious beer pauses, (I caught the last 5 mins of Elements, what was with that voice-over?).
I saw Encordades in the Malt Room, a poor venue for a film with sub-titles - standing for an hour so I could read them made it seem over-long. I was very impressed by the film academy winner - especially as I have just turned 60 as well.
I enjoyed Trail Scat, as did the audience at the showing I was at.
I managed to jump between venues quite well (mainly on Sunday when it was quieter).
Bordman-Tasker was a good and very interesting afternoon, well compered by Julie Summers.
BMC/AC lectures were not at Kendal because as you say "last year they were in a corner of Kendal College" - too far hidden away and out of it.
 jonnie3430 22 Nov 2011
In reply to simondgee:
> (In reply to jonnie3430 and Offwidth
> I'm pretty sure 'achieved'it isn't the term you intended? That suggests thats what they have aimed to do?

It is! They need to fill seats and break even.

> ...most students can afford to drink for week after week...but not put something aside if they really want to do something?

Unless they are mountaineering students who really want to get out in the hills and buy all the gear they need. Spare change then goes on a carryout.

> For the cost of 1.5 DVDS, you can if you wish watch back to back over 70 films... in the order you want (more or less) in the 13 themed film groups repeating 6 times through the festival between 9.30 and 11.00 at night. That is way better value than something like Reel to Rock.
>
£40, the cost of the weekend ticket without the party is literally twice the price of a weekends accommodation and transport with my mountaineering club, what do you expect mountaineers without much money and winter (and a winter kit wishlist,) coming to do?

> In reply to Offwidth)
>
> I suppose it all depends on perspective...
> 6 weeks on a budget of £65 a week.

Where did you get your entrance money from? That's £39 on top of the £25 you've borrowed from a friend already. You can understand why students and climbers can't afford it, with the transport costs and lack of cheap campsite in Kendal on top of beer queues for £3.50 a pint. It comes in at over £100, which is four weekends with my lot.
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2011
In reply to jonnie3430:

I'd still encourage people to pressure for clever ways of getting more help. How about a student scheme to try and get some local folk offering their gardens or a spare room. A UKC lifts to Kendal thread. A few pence on the ticket for a big event or a bespoke sponsor would subsidise those film school entrance fees for the keen but needy. Cheaper consession tickets on Friday when there are nearly always spaces and maybe two sessions on Thursday. Use the Malt room more on an independant ticket (its a lousy venue when you are paying full whack but I'd have been chuffed as a student to see films cheaply there). Bring back BMC/Alpine club lectures and dont run them in the back of beyond. Run an unpublished author short story competition in Boardman Tasker. I'm sure there are many more possibilities.
 Michael Ryan 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

I thought the Long Hope evening (film and Ed and Oliver talking) on Friday night, and Simone Moro and Cory Richards (G2) on Saturday night were two of the most engaging, emotional, intellectual, philosophical and professional presentations I have ever witnessed.

All the best,

Mick
 simondgee 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:
As an Andy P. helper we have a get together soon to review the goods and not so goods with a view to improving...all the great feedback above I will introduce into that forum. I am in complete agreement of a fringe developing not only for Festers but also for film makers and trade. The festival should be a venue to join up film makers and commissioners but it doesn't really happen. I think, economically the bi issue is, do you offer limited choice sell everything out and as a result have a lower per capita price or do you make it a festival. Given that the 'best of KMF' tours the UK in the former format (providing the best films in the shortest time, cost and close to where you live) then I think that the scope of the festival with the good, the bad and ugly is essential.

I didn't get to see much myself but Elements struck me as a perfect example of how to take potentially good content/narrative and crucifie it under the umberella of a big budget. I would guess that budget of Elements would have paid for all of the 20 minute films in the festival and had change for a few lattes....and it was the worst film I saw.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of things you do want to see...The Life of Climbs thing is the opportunity to explore routes and lives in a simlilar way as something as innocuous as Little Cham so it lends its self to others, For example I want to do A life of Climbs:Tower Ridge (which would be hugely ambitious totally uneconomic and take years off my life!...), what about a contemporary twist on the early grit days and the Clubs and pioneers, Scafell Central Buttress (which has some really dramatic opportunities past and present). My own interest are the direction production end...and get people who are way better than me to hold the camera and do the audio!

Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

As someone who has been directly involved with the festival for 11 years I will make the following comments which are my personal thoughts.

You can rest assured that the team involved endeavours to join as many dots as possible - events such as this are constantly evolving and are extremely complicated both logistically and financially while needing to be sensitive to the needs of various stakeholders. No doubt all events from village cake competitions to the Olympics have room for improvement.

Paul Tasker announced some new innovations being looking at - the Boardman Tasker Award has its own committee and structure - I am speaking personally when I say that that is how it should be and the Festival simply hosts the event which previously took place at the Alpine Club in London.

If my memory serves me correctly the BMC expedition lectures people refer to were actually co-ordinated by the Mount Everest Foundation.

While films can be sourced the festival relies on people submitting work - if people don't submit short work the programers don't know about how can it be shown?

99 percent of the festival work is done by a team of volunteers - who set aside time that could be spent with their families and / or focusing on their own business's / passions.

Believe me living for a week on Guinness the odd slice of pizza and a constant supply of Clif Bars aint easy - neither is getting back to the hotel at 2am downloading images, getting them out on the facebook site, then tagging the images with sponsors to keep everyone happy, spread the love and help build relationships in an ever changing media world. Then being back in Kendal the following morning..... getting shots of the various lectures and festival activity, running the twitter feed, discussing new ideas, finding people, running errands.

Why - because I love it. Seeing the joy the festival brings people, making new lifelong friends and the satisfaction of being a tiny cog in a big machine.

Here are some other thoughts -
http://www.mrfrostbite.com/2011/11/21/kendal-but-without-the-mintcake/

http://www.andypmountainguide.com/index.php/eng/Community/Blog

I'll make sure this thread is mentioned in the debrief as all feedback is valued I'm sure.

Feel free to contact the residents of Kendal re renting their soggy November lawns out to students to camp on and lets hope someone remembers to flag up the UKC lifts thread which has existed for a number of years.

Thanks.

See y'all next year.
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

Oh and I should mention due to a last minute issue regarding a brilliant ski film we hoped to show I gave a 30 minute lecture with 10 mins notice !

Things happen fast at Kendal.

Rock'n roll!
 Neil Henson 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: I have attended Kendal almost every year since 2003. I think it has shown a steady improvement in the last few years. The highlights and lowlights for me this year were as follows:

Highlights:
Crossing the ditch (film) - Absolutely absorbing. Possibly the most moving and inspiring film I have ever seen, a real tearjerker too.

Impossible wall lecture - Simply brilliant and hilarious throughout. Bob Shepton is a legend!

Nick Bullock - Entertaining.

Venues better signposted than previous years.

Lowlights:
Moonflower (film) - Disappointing.
Elements (film) - Watchable but the American narration really spoilt it.
Malt Room - This venue really does not lend itself to film viewing. You can hardly see anything at the back. I'm sure "climbing 2" would have been good if I could see it!
Programme changes / errors - This has happened every single year I have been and this year was no exception. Why was the James Pearson Chad film removed from Saturday's showing of Climbing 2?
 Oliver Hill 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth: I went to the Festival, my first festival, with low expectations, seeing few items of much interest and not understanding the format. I decided to buy the £39 2 day film ticket on the basis that it would encourage me to expand. I ended up seeing a lot. I was enchanted. Not boring video sport climbing and ski porn, but artistic adventure: love. I saw one disappointing film: solid boulder/sport. The ability to take in many films educated me in why one failed. Now I understand that art is emotion not facts. I felt a lot of emotion during the weekend. True it was not cheap but much cheaper than a West End concert. I missed one lecture due to late start and distance from centre. Unlike some, I enjoyed The Sphinx for its similarity and difference, the same format as Long Hope but a different speed, age and country. Long live the difference
As Neruda wrote: 'El mundo es grande y bueno para correr, but sometimes we do not see in it what there is to see.' The festival helps.
In one of the lecture answer sessions, we were told that religion was love. For me he got the spelling wrong: it is life. More strong in Spanish: La Vida.From a primeval spark, we all struggle for life. Did you not see that in the Festival?
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2011
In reply to simondgee:

I want to see films about any adventure sport or mountain environment that are not too long (unless brilliant) and that are driven by passion for their subject. If, as Henry implies, these are not being submitted in sufficient numbers, things are maybe worse than I thought (they were turning films away once!). If, say, enough XXXXXX films don't come in I'd suggest dropping XXXXXX II and put overspill into Lucky Dip rather than show full length stuff like Elements or Sphinx (unless of course they pay to be there and subsidise other areas).

Little Cham was a perfect subject for me: I met Ray soling up the VS underneath when I led it once. Climbed it at night another time with Moff and we had to to swear in exasperation to deflect the tourist who wouldn't give in trying to arrange a rescue for us. I also climbed with Mike at Nottingham wall and the film reminded me of good times with Tony Greenbank whom we first met there. I would have enjoyed it though, even if I didn't know anything about the climb.
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Neil Henson:

Not sure why that was pulled for that showing - may have been a tech issue.
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

My point was not that the festival struggles for entries but that maybe the length and type of film being made and submitted isn't the type you wish to see.
In reply to Neil Henson:
> Moonflower (film) - Disappointing.

Oh why? I was thinking of buying that one.
 scott titt 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
.... Run an unpublished author short story competition in Boardman Tasker. I'm sure there are many more possibilities.

Not quite what you want but the Boardman Tasker cttee are developing a Young Writers award, the BMC have agreed to sponsor this with a £250 prize (and the winner published in Summit). I hope that the first award will be made next year.

Offwidth 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Oliver Hill:

I saw what there was to see in Sphinx, that was part of the pain. It could have been an OK 20-30 minute film, with a potential cult fan base, with some simple edits. Long Hope was intelligent, moving, paced from poetic reflection to nail biting urgency on the crux section, and half the length: the comparison is way off. On the subject of 'la vida' life can be living or simply existing.
TheIrv 22 Nov 2011
In reply to simondgee: I really liked your film! congrats on getting it shown. It was worth sitting in the studio until gone 11 on saturday night for.

Overall thoughts about this years festival: disappointing in some ways compared to previous years (although the weather was good). i think a good film programme and some excellent speakers, which is what really mattered.

Agree with comments regarding the maltroom. The studio is slightly better due to the higher screen. The chairs in there are absolute murder though. I think i have permanent nerve damage in my right arse cheek.

I thought the basecamp tent was a bit rubbish this year. The highlight was i guess the guys from petzl breaking equipment. I do remember in years gone by bins filled with belay devices and chalk bags, sadly nothing climbing specific this year.

Just a thought on the films shown...
The Sphynx was quite bad, but I think is a good example of what is wrong with quite a lot of climbing films. there was a good story there, but terrible execution and terrible delusions of making an "epic" film (hence the run time). For further examples of the "epicness" problem, see every American film submitted this year, but particularly "one for the road", "solitaire", etc. Even "Cold" - this was an almost perfect film that did not need the hollow narration (which I noted was written by Kelly Cordes)

I did enjoy most of the climbing, mountaineering, adventure and ski programme though (missed the culture ones). Some of the shorter films i did enjoy, but the parking garage and cross country snowboarding ones were at least 3 years old!

And finally - I went to the marmot night last year and it felt like it was a massive waste of money, so maybe not surprised this year was only half full.

Offwidth 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Focus on a mix of length from 1 minute to 40 minute films, with the odd clearly exceptional longer film. Ask filmmakers to cut the best episode or section, as a sampler, if its too long (it helps sell the dvds as well). Get at least a few short films in every set. A key benefit of brevity is the shorter the film the more risks you can take. Another is they act as visual sorbets clearing the mental palate.
 Neil Henson 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon: Possibly. There was an announcement made but I couldn't hear what he was saying from the back of the room.
 Neil Henson 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Well I think it was just the two climbers filming themselves which made it seem like a home movie. I don't think Alastair Lee was actually there filming, although I realise that logistically it is far from being an easy place to film.
Whenever something exciting happened there was no footage captured, just the climbers telling you what just happened.
I must admit I am struggling to remember much about the film now (yes I was awake throughout).
Maybe my expectations were too high based on Alastair Lee's past work.
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

See my original post.

By the time a film has been submitted and viewed I wouldn't imagine it leaves a lot of time for a member of the festival team to contact however many independent film makers across the globe, critique / make suggestions on the merit of their work and point out where they can improve it in a re edit to make it shorter. All without upsetting their sensibilities - and believe me as someone who works in the visual arts thats dynamite.

As you will know yourself, editing films takes a lot of time, never mind altering the structure, narrative and pace of a film so that its running time can be trimmed without adversly effecting the story as they felt it should be told. I assume most film maker who enter the festival have multiple projects on the go and complicated lives. Whether or nor they would l have time to re-edit a film for the sake of slotting it into one film festivals program is another matter.

Look forward to working with you next year - the more helpers the merrier I would have thought.

Harry Ellis 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon: Well done for showing your Iran photos at such short notice, it was interesting but as I'm sure you will concede not quite what the room was hoping for as the main feature in the first half of the show.
What was the film you were covering for and why could it not be shown?

I enjoyed Solitaire and the Waggoner is certainly an inspiring filmmaker but it was a shame one of his films didn't work properly either.
As others have said there were a few shorts in there that were not new (some worth seeing again some not) but overall I was a bit disappointed with the night overall. If there is a whole night dedicated to snowsports for £12.50 one could be forgiven for expecting more than 1 complete film and a lot of padding.

Good on you for getting up there and making the best of a bad job though
 Misha 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:
A lot has been said about the films but what about the speakers?

Lynn Hill is a big name but I thought she was a so-so speaker. I've seen much more absorbing, inspirational and entertaining talks from the likes of Andy Kirkpatrick, Nick Bullock, Tim Emmett and Ian Parnell. Admittedly Andy and Nick did do talks but they were out on the fringes in early afternoon so clashed with the films (and indeed the outdoors activities during the day!) so I opted to see the films as I had paid for the film ticket. I'd recommend getting a better headlining speaker for next year. It's not just what they've done, it's how they tell it.
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to thegoatstroker:

We'd hoped to get part / all of Freedom Chair - Mike the producer was pulled away on a last minute shoot in Whistler though.

What sort of length in time would you hope a specialist night to be - overall I mean? Hour, Two, Three? Mix of films and a speaker - or just nail it with a variety of films?

Its something we're keen to build on - be good to get some thoughts on specialist nights.
 Harry Ellis 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon: Just watched the trailer for that, shame it fell through.
i think we were all hoping for more action tbh, 3 hours seems a good length of time but maybe 2 or 3 shorter films followed by one speaker with the main film would be a better set up.
The shorts didn't really add much to the night especially as they weren't new and shorts are a lot are on the net anyway.

HTH

Michael Ryan 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Misha:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> A lot has been said about the films but what about the speakers?

I was blown away by Simone Moro and Cory Richards, after their film they did a Q+A. It was funny, erudite and insightful.

I'll take a wild guess and say that the whole audience was transfixed. I was at the back initially and then went up to the front so I could see better.

It was fantastic.

> I'd recommend getting a better headlining speaker for next year. It's not just what they've done, it's how they tell it.

Moro and Richards were headline speakers and well chosen. I hope they are back next year, and with Denis Urubko, who wasn't there; that would have been even a greater treat.

Mick
 Henry Iddon 22 Nov 2011
In reply to thegoatstroker:

Ok cool - I'll pass that on. We've now a dialogue with Mike Douglas and plenty of time - so watch this space.
In reply to UKC News: i agree with the comments about the malt room - although someone did ask for the picture to be raised which would have made it just high enough for everyone to see. another idea could be to put up the two side screens that were in place for the Boardman Tasker awards as well as the main screen, which would allow more people to view films in the room.

apart from that a few simple things such as arrangeing timings a little better,
eg i would have loved to have seen both andy KP and nick bulock but both were on at the same time.

also on the sunday i would have loved to have gone to the awards ceremony, but i felt that it wasn't worth waiting 3 hours without much to do on the sunday after andy kp finished just to go for the awards ceremony and instead i drove home and was unpacked before the awards cermony had even started.

in terms of film choices out of the ones i did see (climbing 1 and 2 and mountaineering 1) the only ones i didnt enjoy were encordades which i saw in the malt room and couldnt see the subtitles (if i'd have been able to see them then i may have enjoyed it) and climbing elements (this was probably because it wasn't my thing though, rather than being a bad film)

all in all a good festival but things could have been a little cheaper but as a one off once a year and for the variety of films, lectures and other little bits its worth the money (as long as the price doesnt increase any more).

wow that turned into a bit of a long post
Knitting Norah 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Editing is an art in itself and having the guts to cut films back and yet keep the storyline and the pace takes real skill especially if the film maker is not the editor. Sometimes they want something in that the editor doesn't think is necessary. The producer has to decide whether to trust his editor or insist on his own choice of content. Many of the film makers involved in Kendal are amateurs and are developing their skills and editing is just one of them. To some people a film should be shorter and to others it is fine as it is, it's all a matter of opinion. As I said Kendal isn't perfect but it is still a good weekend and a credit to those involved. I'm sure they strive each year to take on board what is said. Also when the weather is good some people would rather be out on the hills during the day so the venues are not as well attended as hoped. This year the weather was good.
 Poolie 22 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Just a few general observations about the festival. I love the atmosphere and the myriad of people you get to talk to. It's a really friendly vibe and interesting experience... however things that I think could be improved would include not having to pay for the saturday night party. After people have paid for accommodation, film tickets, travel etc. why not make the party free for all festival goers. Also why not have some live music in another venue... the tent bar outside had some impromtu jamming going on that got people dancing which was great for those who happened to be there, but was a happenstance which allowed those excluded from the party to let their hair down and have a boogie.

The quiz night on the first night, although no doubt fun for the participants, seemed to suck some of the life out of the rest of the fest, so maybe that could have been scheduled differently to allow the friday night to properly kick off and everyone to mingle...

Also would have been nice to have drunk a beer while watching a film but that wasn't allowed...

Loved the Long Hope x
 Bella 22 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth: Lots of local folk do offer a spare room....we had four people staying at ours, other friends similar. One year I had seven people staying at mine!

People can volunteer to help out for the weekend and get a free film pass in exchange - that's what alot of people do that can't afford a weekend film pass. KMF needs loads of volunteers, so there are lots of opportunities to do that.

Not saying that the event shouldn't try and make improvements though!
 Misha 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
Sounds like I should have gone to that then. Was on at the same time.
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2011

You are being too kind to them. The films I've been annoyed with (more this year than ever) were big budget in festival terms. Just look at Hollywood: all the money and editing ability in the world often leads to the direst movies. Low budget films films tend to get less interference, so they may be a little 'rough and ready' but more likely to have some heart.

I also disagree on your weather point: Saturday was the best day and the busiest in the films and talks; attendance in events seemed to be the same pattern as ever, not surprising when you need to book tickets in advance to guarentee getting them and not many will go climbing instead, having paid for tickets .
 Offwidth 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Bella:

I'm aware of that, even had offers myself. My line is I can afford accomodation so I leave the spaces to other mates who struggle more. Its the people that most need help with accommodation that are least likely to get it, which was why I suggested something more organised.
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

Hi Mick,

Any chance you could post the questions from the Mountain Equipment pub quiz online please?

Cheers,

Tom
Knitting Norah 23 Nov 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

I know what you are saying about the big budget films, believe me the films my son has been involved in have not been big budget but they have been innovative, not run of the mill and usually contain some humour, one was based very much on humour. Every one has been a Kendal winner.

As to the weather, I know several people who said they would be there if the weather was poor but would rather be out on the hill if it was good. Perhaps being able to buy a ticket for a single block of films would make it cheaper for those who can't afford a film pass and encourage those who don't want to be there all day or all weekend. I think they did this at one time.
 gav 24 Nov 2011
>Perhaps being able to buy a ticket for a single block of films

This is possible, although very badly advertised (I couldn't find it anywhere, but asked for it at the box office).

Knitting Norah 24 Nov 2011
In reply to gav:

I didn't know it still existed and think it is something that should be clearly advertised. I know quite a few people who would have come to just a few films but couldn't devote either time or money to a whole day or weekend. What a shame they missed out. Please take note festival organisers.
 gav 24 Nov 2011

No, I agree it should have been clearer.

Similarly, I think a bit more thought around the friday film sessions with Premiere films in them could be useful. In previous years, there's at least been a warning that sessions with these films in would be modified but this was missing this year. Having been before, like with the session film passes, I was aware this was the case, but newcomers might not quite appreciate this.

To go one step further, it would be nice to be able to see /what/ they would be replaced with online or in the programme, rather than having to visit the box office. This would also help with personal scheduling, as the slots still carry the same times in the programme as they would if they contained all the films.

I still think it remains a great event, but there's always room for improvement
 luke harper 24 Nov 2011
thats a good article, but where can i watch the films...

wish i could of made it
 simondgee 24 Nov 2011
In reply to luke harper:
Normally you have to pay to watch them...so you will need to watch out for releases on DVD. All of a sudden a film pass doesn't seem such bad value ?!
Knitting Norah 24 Nov 2011
In reply to luke harper:

Usually there are 'Best of Kendal' sets of films that go to different venues around the country so keep a look out for them.
 luke harper 25 Nov 2011
cheers
 Henry Iddon 26 Nov 2011
In reply to luke harper:

Thanks for everyones feedback - its been passed on.

Various things are being looked at for next year.

Luke - keep an eye on the festival homepage / facebook page and twitter @kendalmountain for updates on the 'best of'.
 Henry Iddon 03 Dec 2011
In reply to luke harper:

Nottingham tmrw Luke

http://www.broadway.org.uk
 Offwidth 03 Dec 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon:

A really good line up but isn't that the best of non-british Kendal? I'd also like to see the best short and the winner of the 2 minute film making comp in this line-up in future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...