UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Climbing Clubs - What are they all about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Nov 2011
The Rucksack Club at Robin Hoods Stride, 5 kbThere was once time when the only way that most people could go climbing was by joining a climbing club. In recent years clubs have become much less significant with most new climbers coming into the sport through climbing walls. Richard Baynes takes a look at clubs to see if they still have a role to play for the modern climber?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4198
 dominic o 04 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great Article - if this inspires anyone to find out more about the Rucksack Club then check us out at www.RucksackClub.org or find out the latest at www.blog.RucksackClub.org. We welcome new members so get in touch via join@RucksackClub.org

Cheers

Dom
 Richard Baynes 05 Nov 2011
In reply to dominic o: Thanks, Geoff was a great help.
Great article. However, I wanted to comment about the proportion of women in climbing clubs....
... I am the Membership Secretary of the Mynydd Climbing Club (centred on the High Peak and South Manchester area). Approximately one third of our 200 membership are women and I would say about 50% of our active members are women.
I am also a member of the Karabiner Mountaineering Club and they also have a balanced mix of active members.
 Richard Baynes 06 Nov 2011
In reply to Steve Waters, Mynydd: Yep I think things are better than they perhaps were but the impression I get from women is that it's still not always easy...
 Sean Kelly 06 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice to see some old faces from 35+ years back from my Manchester climbing days.
 Heike 07 Nov 2011

Nice article! I have been /am a member of a number of clubs and they have good (and bad) sides! My favourite club ever must be our uni club. This is what got me really into climbing, mountaineering, got me a husband and lifelong friends!! What more can you ask for...????
Since leaving uni (many moons ago, I have joined a few clubs - some have been great, some less so.

One thing I agree with other comments is the problem about young people/kids. There is too much red tape about kids/ young people in clubs...it's a shame!

One point about the SMC and women! It's a great club and women are more then welcome!

Richard Baynes 07 Nov 2011
In reply to Heike: Yes, I know the SMC is getting better but I couldnl't resist a pop at that thing on the website, it just seemed a wee bit pompous!

I'm actually considering doing the child protection training just to see what it is like...

R

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...