NEW ROUTE CARD: West Lomond, Fife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
East Lomond from West Lomond, 3 kbFife's Lomond Hills are nothing to do with the better known loch and Munro of the same name. They form a compact little group rising in a mass out of the rolling farmland east of Loch Leven, with steep rocky escarpments and two distinctive domed summits that can be seen from as far afield as Edinburgh and the Cairngorms (on a clear day). These tops have gained the well-earned nickname the Paps of Fife. Given their prominence surrounded by low ground the summit views are predictably wide ranging. This short circuit on the Lomonds' bigger Pap takes in some interesting geology in the mini ravine of Glen Vale and the freaky rock mushroom of the Bonnet Stane.

5.50 miles, 8.85 km, 399m ascent, 2:30 – 3:30 hours. Kinross or Glenrothes

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=140
drmarten 21 Oct 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
These are good hills but as a Fifer I'm biased - part of the attraction is the fact they're not 5 hours away. Where does this 'Paps' come from? I've never heard of the phrase until recently.
In reply to drmarten: Good hills but I'm biased too. Maybe 'Paps' is an Edinburgh thing? Think I first heard it when I lived on that uncivilised side of the Forth, and from there they do suit the name.
 tony 21 Oct 2011

Also noteworthy for being the venue of the Devil's Burden hill relay race held every January. It's a bit of a beast, but great fun, and sees Falkland over-run by runners for the day.
In reply to tony: Think I saw them at it one year - does the route go straight up the south flank of West Lomond? Looked like hard work.
 tony 21 Oct 2011
> (In reply to tony) Think I saw them at it one year - does the route go straight up the south flank of West Lomond? Looked like hard work.

Yes. It starts in Falkland and heads straight up East Lomond and down again to Holl Reservoir, across to Scotlandwell, up and over West Lomond to Strathmiglo and then back to Falkland. The leg up West Lomond is definitely the hardest one.
In reply to tony: Including the Bishop? Nice wee leg stretch
 tony 21 Oct 2011
> (In reply to tony) Including the Bishop?

Yup. Full route is shown here: http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/Graphics/Maps/RA-0015-main.jpg

> Nice wee leg stretch

Oh yes! Great fun, in that strange slightly perverse sense of fun.
Dirk Didler 21 Oct 2011
> (In reply to drmarten) Good hills but I'm biased too. Maybe 'Paps' is an Edinburgh thing? Think I first heard it when I lived on that uncivilised side of the Forth, and from there they do suit the name.

I'd rather be a lifer than a Fifer
In reply to tony:
> Yes. It starts in Falkland and heads straight up East Lomond and down again to Holl Reservoir, across to Scotlandwell, up and over West Lomond to Strathmiglo and then back to Falkland. The leg up West Lomond is definitely the hardest one.

Be great if you could add that as a Route Card - we're keen to include fell/trail races and training runs, as well as classic walks.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...