NEW ROUTE CARD: The Montane Lakeland 50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Logbook 03 Oct 2011
Ready for the off at Dalemain, 5 kbThe Montane Lakeland 50 is one the greatest ultra running and walking challenges in Europe. It is run over the second half of the Lakeland 100 UTLD, completing the final 50 miles of the 100 course. As it's only half of the Lakeland 100 course it's the easy option.. right? That's the first and worst error you could possibly make.

50 miles, 80.47 km, 3,100m ascent, 7 – 24 hours

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=115
In reply to UKH Logbook: I did this as my first 50 mile race earlier this year, and absolutely loved it VERY well organised, and a really stunning route around the Lake District.

Get in quick if you're interested - entries only opened on Saturday, and it is already over 50% full.

Highly recommended
 haydn 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
What's the terrain like? It recommends trail shoes rather than proper fell running shoes for the 50, as it has hard paths. It is still muddy footpaths, or does it stray onto manicured cycle path-style motorways at all?
In reply to haydn:
Expect a bit of everything on this one! You shouldn't have to leave a decent path but there is that bit above Tilberthwaite where the path gets a bit thin (especially in the dark)!

Dave D.
In reply to D Douglas: Stockport/Liverpool: Yes, the terrain has a bit of everything. Some short sections of grassy & boggy 'fell', but mostly it is dirt/rocky paths you are following. Also small sections of tarmac.

This year I saw runners wearing everything (including Five Fingers!), but I'd suggest a trail shoe with a bit of support, and grippy rubber for all the rocks. True fell shoes would be over-the-top IMO, and pretty hard work over that sort of distance.
 terrygilp 15 Oct 2011
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
Just to let you know that the L50 is now full at 550 and a waiting list has just been put into operation
 Simon Caldwell 17 Oct 2011
In reply to terrygilp:
Someone needs to update the SI entry lists page then, it only shows 466 entries
 terrygilp 21 Oct 2011
In reply to Toreador:
That's the number of teams registered and a team can be a solo entrant or a pair or a group of three. When they are all added together there are 550 in total
 big john 21 Oct 2011
In reply to UKH Logbook: It says that competitors get a map and route book for our entry fee. Are these sent in the post pre event or are they picked up on the day?
I can't wait for this.
 Simon Caldwell 21 Oct 2011
In reply to terrygilp:

very misleading
In reply to big john:
> (In reply to UKH Logbook) It says that competitors get a map and route book for our entry fee. Are these sent in the post pre event or are they picked up on the day?

Last year the printed material was picked up at registration, and I imagine it will be the same again next year, as there may be minor changes to the route at the 'last minute'.

However, there is an excellent competitors area on their website, which includes download & print yourself versions of the route book, downloadable GPS route details, etc.
 big john 22 Oct 2011
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: awsome, thanks for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...