Tent advice from Snow and Rock?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 06 Jul 2011
I'm a novice with tents but heading to the alps next week and planning to take a tent rather than bivvy. Have been given £100 of snow and rock vouchers as a present so planning to head there later today but can't really work out what I should be looking for. The cheap vango tents (http://www.snowandrock.com/tents/camping/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=tru... look pretty decent for the price, or the MH ones around £200. Anyone know anything about these/have experience with them?

Thanks,

Jim
 The Lemming 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Jim Houghton:

If you are planning to camp on a Campsite then may I suggest that you get the biggest tent you can afford as well as carry?

Comfort is everything, especially as it can rain quite a lot and you will need somewhere to hide from the rain and expensive shops.

Tom Last 06 Jul 2011

I've got a 2man Vango Tornado. Cheap-ish, solid build, very stable AND it's got nice old school orange bits on it. Winner!
OP Jim Houghton 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Jim Houghton: Sorry, I was unclear. We're staying in a house in the valley, this is for the mountain.
In reply to Jim Houghton: I think that you need to be even clearer. You need to be aware that in some areas, Chamonix for example, wild camping is NOT allowed. If you are climbing rather than walking do you REALLY want to carry a tent?

Al
 Timmd 06 Jul 2011

If it was me I think i'd go for one of the more expensive Mountain Hardware tents, the MH Lightpath tent looks like it has a windshedding shape, but the mesh inner would be cooler in winter than a non mesh inner.

The Hubbah Hubbah HP might be a better buy if you can afford it, if you're thinking of camping with a friend in the future or in winter, from being bigger and not having mesh on the inner.

I think you need to think about what seasons you're likely to be camping in and who with and where, to help you decide.

I'd probably avoid the cheaper Vango tents though.

Cheers
Tim
 Timmd 06 Jul 2011

The Banshee could be okay actually, I was thinking about the tents costing 89 pounds when I posted.
In reply to Jim Houghton: why don't you see if you can sell your vouchers for cash and spend elsewhere. you'll get more for your money!
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Not a bad plan, just guessing that others may think the same. Maybe I should go and stand outside Snow and Rock selling them!

Re above posts, I guess we'll be camping in the cosmiques bowl a bit and perhaps over on the geant. There'll be two of us. I take the point re weight, but would rather carry extra than remortgage our house to stay in huts! Have never slept well bivvying hence decision to try a tent this year...

The banshee sounds a good bet, anyone have any experience of it?
In reply to Jim Houghton: If you intend camping in the Vallee Blanche I would buy the cheapest tent you can find. If you leave it up during daylight hours you are very likely to have it confiscated.

Al
 Ben Briggs 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: Sun down to sun up is fine as its just biving, take the tent down in the day. I always bivi or camp when the huts are open and you cant use winter rooms, mostly because im cheap but i think you getter nights sleep too!

If you plan on carrying it far then get somthing light as number one priority and if you want to use it in harsher conditions its worth spending a bit more money to get something bombproof.

Ben
 Ben Briggs 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Jim Houghton: Banshee should be fine for camping around the col du midi, not used one myself though.
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: Is this really true or just a rumour? We left ours up for a week two years back in mid July (as did lots of people) and nothing happened. Has anyone ever had their tent confiscated?
 zephr 06 Jul 2011

If you are going to buy a tent from snr, splash out and get a more expensive one- MHW or a MSR. Yes, expensive, but a much more intelligent buy in the long term.

I might even suggest using the voucher to buy something else and get a Vaude from Cotswold instead.

Vangos have their place, but I'd never use one out of a valley (or out of a festival if I had to)
In reply to Jim Houghton: This is not really a valid argument is it. I know people who have regulary driven at 80 MPH on the motorway for years and got away with it but that does not make it permissable. They might get caught tomorrow.

I personally witnessed the Gendarmes get out of a helicopter take down 3 tents and carry them away when I was doing a route on the South Face of the Midi. There are signs posted in all the Telepherique stations advising people in big letters that camping is NOT allowed.

Al
In reply to zephr: Thanks, which MHW one would you go for?
 antdav 06 Jul 2011
If you're thinking of the banshee, 2 will struggle get into the 200. The 300 would be more suitable for 2 people. I think it's definately an issue of you get what you pay for though
In reply to Jim Houghton: I have a MHW trango 3.1 for sale if your interested...might be a bit out of your price range @ £300 but it's as bombproof as they come. I have only used it a few times in the UK
 Ben Briggs 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Jim Houghton: you were lucky if it turns into a big campsite they do take tents away i have seen it too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...