NEW ARTICLE: The Dark Art of Night Navigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 04 Mar 2011
Sally Wheatley, using the TIKKA XP² at the trig point on Helvellyn during a dark and stormy night in December., 3 kbDarkness and disorientation are two primeval human fears - throw in bad weather, injuries or the threat of missing last orders and it's easy to see why so many mountaineers find benightment such a daunting prospect. So, how do you get back safely and efficiently when you can't see past the end of your torch beam and the shadows are making every contour feature look like the Hilary Step on Everest?

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3069
 OMR 30 Mar 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: Aspect of slope can also be used in the dark. I've used it once descending from Beinn MacDui in a blizzard at night and once in the featureless hills between Loch Muick and Glen Mark: first time it confirmed where we thought we were, second time it allowed me to substantialy narrow down the options of where I might be and, ultimately, to get to my destination.
 Rory Shaw 31 Mar 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: I also think that the ability to interpret contour lines from the map and 'feel' waht the ground is doing under your feet is as important as pacing and bearings!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...