UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Winter mountaineering in North West Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Dec 2010
Looking east across Stuc a Choire Dhuibh - Liathach, 3 kbA call to visit the North West this winter and sample some of the area's great mountaineering routes.

Routes that are often best approached in a 'traditional' way, with one axe and an exploratory attitude.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3258

Toby S 09 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

Think I might need to add 'Deep South Gully' to my 'to do' list. That's a cracking looking route. Good article too.
Geoffrey Michaels 09 Dec 2010

Good article but almost every place-name is spelled incorrectly.
collie dog 09 Dec 2010
In reply to Geoffrey Michaels:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Good article but almost every place-name is spelled incorrectly.

That's a bit of a harsh statement. Which place names are incorrect ? I'm struggling to find one never mind "almost every one".

Scomuir 09 Dec 2010
In reply to collie dog:
> (In reply to Geoffrey Michaels)
> [...]
>
> That's a bit of a harsh statement. Which place names are incorrect ? I'm struggling to find one never mind "almost every one".

excellent article, but to an extent, Geoffrey Michaels has a point, albeit somewhat exagerated, for example, Beinn Alligan (Beinn Alligin), Fuar Thol (Fuar Tholl).

In reply to collie dog:

These:

Beinn Alligan, Stuc a Choire Dhuibh, An-Teallach, A Chioch - Beinn Bhan, Tom na Gruagaic, Beinn Damph, Fuar Thol,

Ok I exagerated but you get the point. Proof reading is handy.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Dec 2010

Great shots, inspiring stuff.

Chris
collie dog 09 Dec 2010
> (In reply to collie dog)
>
> These:
>
> Beinn Alligan, Stuc a Choire Dhuibh, An-Teallach, A Chioch - Beinn Bhan, Tom na Gruagaic, Beinn Damph, Fuar Thol,
>
> Ok I exagerated but you get the point. Proof reading is handy.

Still reckon you were harsh. You came across as a bit dismissive because of a couple of spelling mistakes on an otherwise okay article. I'm sure An-Tealach is correct. As is A Chioch on Beinn Bhan. Don't know about the others as I've no idea where they are.

By the way, you miss spelled exaggerated. Proof reading is handy before posting.
 Patrick Roman 09 Dec 2010

A really good article that reminded me of my own initial excursions into the area.

The photographs are among the best I've seen of the region's mountains in winter. Impossible not to get a real sense of "being there". Great stuff.
 tony 09 Dec 2010
In reply to collie dog:
> (In reply to Geoffrey Michaels)
> [...]
>
> Still reckon you were harsh. You came across as a bit dismissive because of a couple of spelling mistakes on an otherwise okay article. I'm sure An-Tealach is correct.

No, there's no hyphen, and it should be a double ll.

> By the way, you miss spelled exaggerated. Proof reading is handy before posting.

That should be misspelled. Proof reading is ... oh, never mind.

I thought it was a good article, but it was the photos that did it for me - the place looks absolutely glorious!
In reply to UKC Articles: Awesome.
I particularly support the bit at the end about 'forget you are a climber and take a single axe and less gear'. Some of my best days in the hills ever are winter days out in the NW in that very style!
Mambrino's Helmet 09 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Lovely article. Inspiring, even as I sit looking at the Haut Savoie on a blue sky day!
 DougG 09 Dec 2010

Superb article (despite the spelling errors) - the shots from Liathach are nothing short of inspirational.
 Caralynh 09 Dec 2010

Perfect! We're off up there in Feb for a week, and non technical grade I and II routes are just what we're after.
Great pics and some nice inspiration there
 iceicebaby 09 Dec 2010

Loved it! The spelling errors fade into the background amid those images. Its made me want to head up there NOW. Although, its gone a bit toasty outside.
In reply to iceicebaby:

I should say that the article is great as are the images. About 60 miles from where I live....
 rubisco 09 Dec 2010
Am I right in assuming that the last photograph is taken from Spidean a' Choire Leith, looking over Stob a' Choire Liath Mhor and Stuc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig and with Beinn Eighe in the left middle ground?
 Jack Frost 09 Dec 2010
In reply to rubisco:

Yes
 DougG 09 Dec 2010
In reply to rubisco:

I think that's about right.
 Conor1 09 Dec 2010
In reply to collie dog:
By the way, you miss spelled exaggerated.

Love it
 Conor1 09 Dec 2010
A wonderful article, exactly what I want from UKC. More like this please!
 Sean Kelly 09 Dec 2010
In reply to Conor1:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> A wonderful article, exactly what I want from UKC. More like this please!

You mean on UKH! Oh & I really enjoyed the Article and Photos. I will get weather like that hopefully one day in the far NW. Only been waiting 40yrs!!!
 Bungle 09 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: This is an article in Summit magazine. Looks better though with the big pictures.
 Boogs 09 Dec 2010

Excellent article & fantastic photography ! Wonderful .
 Denni 10 Dec 2010
In reply to boogie man:

Excellent article and as someone else said, the fots are fab.
More like this please :0)
 Toby S 10 Dec 2010
> (In reply to collie dog)
>
> These:
>
> Beinn Alligan, Tom na Gruagaic, Fuar Thol,

'Tom na Gruagaich', 'Fuar Tholl' and 'Beinn Alligin' .. let you off with that though because chances are the OS map I have is out of date and it's the anglicised version of Beinn Àilleagan. And as we all know the anglicised versions are all wrong. and indeed :-p

spilla 10 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: My first Winter Peak: Liathach. Some years ago now but the memories are so strong. The ridge was probably one of the most mesmerising routes I had accomplished at that point and I still put it in my top 10 days out in the hills, right up there with the 4000m peaks of the Bernese. Great article.
 J0 10 Dec 2010

Brilliant article, fantastic photos. Well done.
 SonyaD 10 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: The author's sheer enthusiasm for the NW is what stands out for me. The most beautiful place in the world to climb in winter.
 kathrync 10 Dec 2010

Nice article and fabulous photos. The Liathach and An Teallach traverses have been two of my favourite trips of the last couple of years as well...great to see someone getting off the beaten track and being so enthusiastic about it
 gerryneely 12 Dec 2010

Brilliant winter photography.
ice.solo 12 Dec 2010

great photos. nice article. couldnt give a feck how you spell.
 Nick_Scots 13 Dec 2010
Inspirational photos. Some of those routes are in the 'Scotland's Winter Mountains' book by M Moran, which I first got in the 90s when a Venture Scout.

Nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...