NEWS: Pembroke Campsites Closed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scott titt 20 Aug 2008
I have just heard that our club meet (Wessex MC) to Trefalen Farm (Bosherston) has been cancelled by the farmer. The site is waterlogged and is in a "dire" state after all the rain. Our local (Haverford) member has looked for an alternative and found none, all the sites are in a similar state.
So if you are planning to go to S Pembroke check there will be a campsite before you go! (I imagine N pembroke will be in a similar situation given the continuing rainfall, 12-25mm forecast for Thurs!)

(Edit)

UKC News link:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=08&year=2008#n45273
 pebbles 21 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt: BUMP. just spoke to St Petrox owner who is very concerned about people making the journey down only to find no campsites open
 Simon Caldwell 21 Aug 2008
In reply to pebbles:
Bugger.
I guess we need to come up with a plan B...
OP scott titt 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Toreador:
Fortunately as I live less than a mile from Boulder Ruckle my Plan B involves a nice warm watertight house!
 Chris F 21 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt: Is it worth asking UKC Mods to put this up as a news item as a public service?
 Jack Geldard 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Chris F: Now on the news page and thread title changed.

Fingers crossed for sunshine.
 Aroha 21 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt: I've just spoken to the owner of Trefalen Farm and she's confirmed that all campsites in the area are closed including St Petrox, Windmill Hill and Glebe Farm. They're currently using a tractor to tow people out of what looks like a lake. She seemed to think sites are closed even further afield.
 Big Steve 21 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt: Does anybody know what state the North Wales campsites are in?
 Caralynh 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Big Steve:

Gwern Gof Uchaf flooded last weekend. We ended up camping on a swamp, and all cramming into the little un's bedroom since it was the only place left on solid ground!
In reply to Caralynr:

I was there at the weekend. Pretty dire wasn't it. Fortunately I think I had the biggest tent on the site so had somewhere to hide from the worst of it.
 miserable_bird 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Caralynr: Wasn't that bad, or at least it's been worse!
 speekingleesh 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Aroha:

By further afield would this be as far as the Gower, as the forecast for there seems pretty rubbish?
P Klauzaa 21 Aug 2008
In reply to speekingleesh:

I m hardly surprised the campsites are closed. The weather is pish, and passing by them, there was no way I'd have stayed on them, the condition they were in last week. And there's been more rain since.

Forget Pembroke until the late summer, that will arrive in Sept.
 Big Steve 21 Aug 2008
In reply to Caralynr: Great, I am in for a wet week then, with all my clothes smelling mouldy by Wednesday
 andi turner 23 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt:

What the current state of play? Anywhere dried out yet?
 dave o 24 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt:

anyone know what the latest is??

hoping to head there for tuesday night

cheers
 hash 25 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt:

just got back from pembroke, the campsite in St Petrox is closed - not sure when it's due to open again, we ended up sleeping in the car! glebe farm was open (and full) over the bank holiday but the entrances to both fields were pretty cut up so I don't know what the state of play is now.
camp sites in manorbier were open as normal though i believe
 Chris the Tall 25 Aug 2008
In reply to hash:
Campsites around St Davids appeared to be fine and fairly full
keithcrockford 26 Aug 2008
Camp sites in St Davids all fine, just got back. They were busy, but are fairly quiet now. We did have a fair bit of rain over weekend so any sites that were closed probably havent improved much
 Rog Wilko 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Big Steve: Hi, couldn't answer your question, but we've got a nice little hut (sleeps 12) for rent to bona fide climbers just under the Moelwyn Crags (which are the best crags in Wales for climbing in the wet!). Short notice bookings welcome!
Mallex 26 Aug 2008
In reply to scott titt:

Hi folks, this is Mall and Alex who run St Govan's Inn in Bosherston. Just to say how nice it was to see about 60 of you climbers in the pub this weekend, despite the weather and lack-of-camping-panic.

For future reference, we make it our business to know the exact state of play on all the Bosh and surrounding campsites (after all, we have to know how much beer to order - you lot don't half get through your real ales!).

There was actually one field in the village which was dry and not full all weekend (Lucas's field next to the schoolhouse).

So you may get a more objective appraisal of what's going on if you ring us (some campsites won't say others are open incase regulars 'defect'). Feel free to ring me or Alex on 01646 661311 and we'll be happy to pass on what we know.

Safe climbing!

Mallex.

P.S. - Quicker response by phone, too busy / knackered to check our emails much at the moment!
 The Pylon King 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Mallex:

cheers for that - will be calling later this week thanks!
 Ybot Htulk 26 Aug 2008
In reply to The Pylon King:

Alreet Mark.
Are you going to Pembroke this week?
Im sppsoed to be going up with Tom on Thurs till Sunday from Bristol. What are your plans? Want to meet?
No idea where to stay though
 The Pylon King 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Toby Kluth:

Possibly be in Bosherston Fri - Sun staying at Glebe farm
 Ybot Htulk 27 Aug 2008
In reply to The Pylon King:

I'll call you later in the week
 GrahamD 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Mallex:

Good input. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...