The Northern Lights visible on Friday and Saturday south to Liverpool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 10 May 2024

The Northern Lights will be visible on Friday and Saturday as far south as Liverpool in the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/space/northern-lights-uk-solar-storm-b2542767...

Lankyman 10 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Well I'm stood on a little hill looking north right now and I can't see them. And I'm further north than Liverpool.

Post edited at 21:41
 Graeme G 10 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Errrrr…..you need to wait until it’s dark?

In reply to elsewhere:

It's visible by Hathersage now!

Lankyman 10 May 2024
In reply to richard_hopkins:

I'm back outside and it's straight above me not looking anything like I expected. Like milky rays of pale white light radiating from a central hole and with vague elements of orange/red. Never seen them before.

gribble 10 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Absolutely stunning in Derby at the moment! 

gribble 10 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Point your camera phone at it, on night mode if you have that. 

LastBoyScout 10 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Visable as far South as Reading! Incredible sight.

Lankyman 10 May 2024
In reply to gribble:

> Point your camera phone at it, on night mode if you have that. 

This is all I can get

Hooo 10 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

I can see them now and I'm in Sussex!

Tony Buckley 10 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

A friend has reported them from Reading.

T.

Tom Valentine 11 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

A first for me too. Broad beams of light radiating out from near the star Arcturus.

Dave the Rave 11 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Same here in north wales too. Photos look fantastic, but if this is all that you can see without taking a photo it’s a scam. Glad I didn’t spend 5k plus to go and see it)

Robert Durran 11 May 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Same here in north wales too. Photos look fantastic, but if this is all that you can see without taking a photo it’s a scam. Glad I didn’t spend 5k plus to go and see it)

Best I've ever seen. Easily beats any of those unrealistic photos.

DizzyT 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Breathtaking in the White Peak.

Skyfall 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

good here near Warwick … 

Dan Arkle 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Good in Sheffield. 

You could make out all the colours with the naked eye, but not as bright as by photo. 

storm-petrel 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Not too shoddy on the Furness Peninsular in Cumbria.

Post edited at 02:12

Ridge 11 May 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Same here in north wales too. Photos look fantastic, but if this is all that you can see without taking a photo it’s a scam. Glad I didn’t spend 5k plus to go and see it)

Yes. Looks great on camera, but cycling home from the pub last night I initially assumed it was very thin, high, cloud cover.

wintertree 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Clouds when I was out but I got a photo of the monster sunspot cluster behind it late afternoon.  

Myfyr Tomos 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Amazing display. Never seen anything like it.

TobyA 11 May 2024
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

NE Derbyshire, just above Sheffield.

In reply to elsewhere:

My in-laws sent me this from Devon!

Lankyman 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

What I saw last night was much more subtle than the photos I've seen but still remarkable. I suppose it's the limitations of the human eye. Just watching the viewer pics on BBC breakfast and Simon King the weather forecaster has said pretty much this and he was out watching. It looks like we'll get another chance tonight.

Mike-W-99 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

One of the best displays I’ve seen. Summit camp on An Socach. Shame only had phone camera.

Mark Kemball 11 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Could just see it faintly with the naked eye in Bude, North Cornwall. No colours. Couldn't get a photo, will try our luck again tonight. 

jon 11 May 2024
In reply to Mark Kemball:

You were lucky. I'm in N Scotland and didn't see anything. Kept looking till way after midnight too...

wercat 11 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

was out from about 10.20 to 12.20 - Cumbria - Eden Valley.

I saw some activity at first to the N and E looking over Cross Fell.  However, after being out for half an hour it became apparent that these were merely rays going northwards from a radiant point to the South, perhaps not so far from where the sun would have been at Zenith.

There were almost no rays getting to the North and very intense coloured rays from the described position going to the E and W, possibly most intense on the ecliptic.

At times there was a central void with stars visible.  I rather think we were seeing not the usual manifestation of Northern Lights during that period but the entry to the Earth's atmosphere of the ejected coronal mass.  There was darkness and no activity to the north apart from rays coming down slightly N of the E/W line from the south.

Also I wondered if the lack of rays to the north was magnetic field interaction as the centre of activity twisted clockwise over time about the central hole with the most intense streamers following the twist.  At one point the effect looked like an O/S benchmark with rays in the southern half of the sky but not in the northern half.  In the end after these interactions calmed down after midnight the curtain effect started to appear in the Northern sky as the effect fro =m what looked like the noon position of the sun faded.

The overall effect was apparent coming from the plane of the solar system rather from the North and I've never seen anything as intense or with that effect before - the Lights have always been in the North and radiating, sometimes from a central hole from a point in the sky to the far north.  Consistent with the CME arriving at Earth in our part of the sky somewhere near the noon position of the sun.

I'm sure it was the point of arrival/contact across the plane of our system that we were seeing and the colours at times were intense even to the naked eye.

Doug 11 May 2024

Apparently visible here in the south of France although I didn't see them. My wife read a headline somewhere that were seen from Corsica.

https://www.ledauphine.com/science-et-technologie/2024/05/11/des-alpes-a-la...

Fat Bumbly 2.0 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

I could see that the sky was bright through gaps in the cloud cover.

Tom Last 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Wild here in Cornwall too.

Ian W 11 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> I'm back outside and it's straight above me not looking anything like I expected. Like milky rays of pale white light radiating from a central hole and with vague elements of orange/red. Never seen them before.

Thats what we had on the. Northumberland coast except we also had spread of colours (red, green, purple ,yellow) all visible to the naked eye.....with the white sheets moving around; almost like being under a dome. Mrs W took some pretty decent pics with the moonlight reflecting off budle bay and the aurora above it. Using her phone . I couldn't get the camera to work properly. I'll learn how to someday........

storm-petrel 11 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> What I saw last night was much more subtle than the photos I've seen but still remarkable. I suppose it's the limitations of the human eye.....

Yes, my experience was a bit more subtle than my photo above but after thirty minutes of adjusting to the very dark place I was watching from it was still a pretty fantastic spectacle.

I tried to keep my photos reasonably subtle when I processed them. They were mostly five second exposures during which my camera's sensor would have collected a lot more light than I could see. I haven't changed the colour balance, added any colour or increased the colour saturation or anything. The only processing I did was to increase the contrast of the rather flat raw files a bit and a bit of noise reduction.

Andy Johnson 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

At least two more CMEs heading our way over the next five days: https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/news/view/533/20240510-cme-impact-immin...

Welsh Kate 11 May 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Just watch out, guys!!

Robert Durran 11 May 2024
In reply to storm-petrel:

> I tried to keep my photos reasonably subtle when I processed them. They were mostly five second exposures during which my camera's sensor would have collected a lot more light than I could see. I haven't changed the colour balance, added any colour or increased the colour saturation or anything. 

When I have photographed the aurora I have found the best way of getting something anywhere near reflecting what I could see is to very significantly turn down the saturation. The trouble is that they then just look "rubbish" compared to almost all the other photos I see! I've now decided not to even bother; last night I just enjoyed getting out away from light pollution and gazing up in awe at the ever changing spectacle.

skog 12 May 2024
In reply to wercat:

Yeah, think I saw some of what you describe, by Stirling. The sheets were beautiful but the radiating efects were really special. But for me they were not towards the sun, but just a bit east(ish) of overhead, about an hour either side of midnight.

It's true that it was less impressive to the naked eye, but a lot of it could be seen this time, some of the purples and greens actually quite vivid.

It was an amazing show.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...